Question about hooking up 2 computers to the internet

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chinabuddie, Aug 16, 2005.

1. chinabuddie

chinabuddie Member

ok i'll try to put this as simple as possible.

i currently have a cable modem. with our service provider comcast we only purchased 1 IP address. I have a cable/dsl reuter that splits the IP address so that multiple computers can share the IP address. In the basement of my house we have 3 computers, 1 cable modem, 1 reuter. My room is 3 floors up and I have a rj-45 cable that goes all the way up to my room from the reuter. I currently have a desktop in my room that is connected to the internet. Well I just got a used laptop and ethernet card. What would I need to have BOTH of the computers in my room to be internet accessible? Would I need another reuter? or a hub? I think I have like 1 or 2 spare hubs lying downstairs somewhere.. we stopped using the hub when we got the reuter to split a single IP address up.

cliff notes: my room has 1 RJ45 ethernet cable.. but 2 computers. what would i need to make it possible to hook both up to the internet. the RJ45 cable comes from a reuter 3 floors down that splits 1 IP address from my cable modem up so multiple computers can share it. Thanks

2. Samdog

Samdog mmmmmm, turbo.....

A hub or switch should be fine

3. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

All you need to do is plug the cable already in your room into a hub and then plug each of those computers into the hub.

4. chinabuddie

chinabuddie Member

lol i've put together a RJ45 cable.. but that was like 5 years ago in High school electronics class.. i have a hub downstairs.. so just put the ethernet cord thta comes from the reuter to the UPLINK in the hub.. and then just get 2 RJ45 cables and connect them into the hub and it should work?

5. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

try what the others suggested first. it could be as simple as just hook up a hub to your cable then hook up your computers to the hub.

but if that doesnt work, then it might be you need a crossover cable to connect your hub to the router. i'm not 100% sure. usually when i hook up stuff like this i try different cables and turn uplink on/off, etc. until it works :)

6. chinabuddie

chinabuddie Member

cool cool.. i'll have to buy some extra RJ45 cables.. thanks for the input everyone.

7. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

i'd go with a switch because there is less packet loss than with a hub. hubs also burn out faster than switches.

8. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Linksys BEFSR41 router. will work as a hub and a hardware firewall as well.

Shut down all the computers and the cable modem. modem to router, router to both pcs. restart modem, router and both PCs in that order. once IP addresses are obtained (automatically), you're done.