GUN question about gun care, cleaning, maintenence, etc.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dranian, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I recently turned 21 and was given a gun that belonged to my grandfather. I dunno if its ever been fired but if so it hasnt been fired in years. I've read a bit but still don't know much about guns and I need some help.

The gun is a browning buckmark .22lr

I'm assuming i need to clean and lubricate it before shooting it. I don't know how to field strip a browning .22 nor do i know what cleaning products to buy. I'm planning on taking this gun to use for my concealed weapons permit class but first i need to get it ready to fire. Also how often should i clean it and is there any other maintenence i need to perform prior to firing this gun?

Any links or info on how to clean or field strip this would be much appreciated.

i was thinking of ordering this cleaning kit. Anybody know anything about this or would you guys recommend something else?

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Before anyone else says it... .22lr isn't a good self-defense round.

For cleaning I mainly use Hoppe's #9. I also have Copper Solvent and Lead Solvent (Lead for my .22lr guns since I don't shoot jacketed bullets in them).

For cleaning a .22lr you'll need a rod, a jag, and a brush. Other stuff would be the solvent and patches, etc. Gun cleaning is rather simple.

Might be able to find a manual online for your gun in .pdf that'll tell you how to field strip your gun.

3. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

4. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I know that i'm just gonna take the class with the .22 since i got it for free and its all i have for now. Also i hear .22lr is a good caliber to start out on and learn on and i figure it'll make for a decent range gun and first gun. For carry i'll probably get a HK mark 23 or a kimber custom 1911.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  5. Dranian

Dranian (..)

The size is not such a problem for me. I like a large gun even though most people think they're impractical for carry. I can be a little stubborn and if it becomes a problem for me to carry a large gun then i'll switch to a compact and think "damn i should have listened when everybody said not to carry a big gun" but for now I think i'll try it out for myself and see if it works out for me or not. I realize that spending around $2,000 on a new HK mark 23 and then deciding not to carry it would be a pretty costly mistake but i can always resell it if that happens. anyway this thread was just supposed to be about cleaning and care advice not debating the validity of gun size for carry so i think i'll shut up now. I don't mean to come off sounding like an ass, I do appreciate the advice and the fact that you were just trying to be helpful.

6. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I don't know if it's the same in your state, but in TX if you qualify with anything under a .30 cal you can't legally carry anything of a larger caliber.

7. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Nope i'm pretty sure in FL you can qualify with any caliber and carry any weapon. I'll ask at the class to make sure though and rent something larger caliber if i need to.

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Maybe see about just having a gunsmith look at the gun and clean it? From what I've seen, it's not terribly expensive. Think the one I looked at was like $30.

I haven't taken my CCW courses yet (plan to this summer) but I think I've read that some of them cover gun care/maintenance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Or just go to a local gun shop and ask.

9. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:rofl: :rofl:

No you won't.

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

c'mon man! I was going to conceal carry my Desert Eagle.

11. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i was going to carry my S&W .500 but the grips are to small. do they make hogues for it?

12. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Damnit I guess ill just have to use my sawed off shotgun...

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

How big are you? Seen the Mark 23 in person? Have you even held the Mark 23?

It is very big for a CCW. I CCW a fullsize HK USP. About as big as I will go. But then again, I'm a pretty small guy. Maybe you're like 6'5" 250?

14. Dranian

Dranian (..)

i'm 6'2" about 175lbs and have held the mark 23. I realize its large, just don't care.

EDIT: also i probably won't carry it all the time since i live with my girlfriend who hates guns. None of this is relevant to gun cleaning anyway wich was the intent of this thread. any opinions on a cleaning kit like this one from gunbroker? would that have most everything i'd need?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I'm 6' 300lbs and can barely conceal my XD service. If you can conceal an HK 23 under a T shirt without printing, make sure you patent it cause you will be the first one to pull it off :)

16. Dranian

Dranian (..)

i'm not worried about it being well concealed. i wish i could open carry but as long as its not in plain view then its no problem.

17. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

you will be worried about it being well concealed when you find out that printing is just as bad as having it exposed and i think in some cases against the rules of having a permit.

18. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

The final word in gun cleaning is Mpro7

19. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

oh and Miltec

20. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

You should be worried about it.
    Unless you are just wanting to show off that you have a gun without showing that you have a gun. If that's the case, I would recommend not getting a CCW.
    Course the first time a store owner sees the grip bulging out under your shirt and calls the cops and the cops then do a felony stop because of a call of a person with a gun, then have you wait in cuffs while they check to validate your CCW, I am betting you will get the point and look for a smaller pistol. :)

(and yes, this shit does happen. I have been called out 4 times for this)

21. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

:werd: hk make some of the bulkiest handguns in the market im 5'7 150lb and i can barely conceal a uspc without the outline of the handgrip showing.

22. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

So I'm probably wrong (better yet the cop was wrong) but isn't that brandishing a firearm? I had a cop come up to me and asked me if I was carrying a gun, which I said yes to. And it ended up with a debate about open carry vs concealed carry, in georgia open carry isn't illegal. But apparently they can charge you with Brandishing a firearm, the cop let me go (probably because its not even illegal with a CCW) because I had just recently started carrying and it was a carrying mistake. (BTW it was a fullsize HK 45 in a cheap holster and the grip was poking out a hair thru a tshirt) But in any case I've found it much simplier to just simply conceal the firearm with a quality holster, then to be bothered with ignorant redneck cops in georgia (not knocking cops, just the ones who go out of their way to knock on me).

23. oakie

oakie my ninja.

back to the issue of gun cleaning as others seem to know nothing about and would rather BS about a gun they dont own either...

Hoppe's series is a classic as others have mentioned... their #9 powder solvent is some really potent stuff. i use it on my Beretta A303 auto shotgun as the lead and powder foulup gets pretty intense after 200 clays.

as for my handguns, i normally put about 50-100 rounds when i go to the range, and my local range requires jacketed ammo only. because of this, i normally clean my handguns with Breakfree CLP. i dunno what any non-chemical engineer thinks about that nor do i care, but it works. has worked very well for me over the past 12 years now.

i'll apply the CLP heavily to a patch cloth and run it down the barrel in a single stroke, then let it sit while i clean the other parts of the gun with a Q-Tip lightly soaked in CLP, or another patch cloth over large surface areas. i wipe all the lubed areas off with a dry, lint free cloth until pretty much all the lubricant has been removed from the surface and the powder residue is gone.

after that i go back to the "soaked" barrel and run a brass brush down the bore and chamber, making sure to scrub the feed ramp, exterior edges of the chamber and locking lugs, and especially the chamber shoulder.

i then run a clean, dry patch cloth down the bore for 5-10 strokes, depending on how gray the cloth comes out. if it's pretty well grayed from residue, slap on a new cloth and run it down the bore until it comes out clean. i then hold up the barrel to the light and examine the rifling planes and grooves for residual residue... it'll show up as "matted" spots compared to the smooth, glossy rifling of a clean bore. if there are any matted spots, i repeat with from step one to "soak" the bore with a CLP soaked patch, and focus my scrubbing with the bore brush in the matted areas and continue.

i normally continue until a dry patch cloth being run through the bore comes out completely clean with no hint of oil... takes about 10 minutes on just the barrel alone. if i know the gun will not be shot for a while, i'll drizzle a bit of CLP on a patch and run it down the bore after it's been cleaned to prevent rust... but be sure to wipe out the excess oil the day you go to shoot it or jams can occur, along with increased fouling.

i am extremely anal about my guns... they are oil and grease free, with no hint of powder or lead fouling or any other foreign objects in the internals; lint, dust, or otherwise to the best of my ability. i use plastic bristle brushes when i can to prevent marring of the exterior finishes. all my guns get the "white glove" treatment before they go back into the safe.

24. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:hsugh:

Is your holster a friggin gym bag? ?

25. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I use a bore snake for for normal cleaning after a day at the range, with hoppes #9 if it's dirty ammo. I use a Hoppes graphite rod if it's time to do a full cleaning with disassembly (usually 1-2 times a month). For lube I am now using Gunbutter. A couple drops on the rails and that's it. Once a month I give the slides a wipedown with Blue Wonder's Armadillo as well as a wipedown on the insides of the mag well to make sure they slide out freely.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005