MIL question about getting out of cell phone contract for deployment

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shiba, Oct 10, 2007.

1. shiba

shiba Active Member

What are the procedures i have to go through to get myself out of a cellphone contract due to deployment? the guys at the store were idiots and Customer service told me I should transfer it to someone else. I figure someone here has done it before.

2. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I believe you're supposed to fax them a copy of your orders. Last deployment I forgot to do this and had to call them while out at sea. The woman I was talking to wasn't buying it, but I happened to be in a space right under a catapult so when they launched a jet it was loud as all hell on the phone. She asked what it was, when I told her she immediately canceled my contract and dropped a few other fees :bigthumb: :mamoru:

3. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

I also know of people that put theres on hold until they got back. I guess it depends if you like the service or not...

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Who do you have? I just got the base letterhead and typed up a nice letter and faxed it off with my orders. As long as the cell phone service is not available in your area you should be good to go.

I know T-Mobile will offer a military suspension of up to 18months with zero fees. The only bad thing is that your contract would be extended by whatever amount of time you had to suspend your service. The 18months can be renewed if you needed it to as well. I had to do this a few months ago before leaving for Kadena AB.

5. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

6. s3rca

s3rca New Member

ive suspended my contract through tmobile as mentioned earlier , it was as simple as walking into a tmobile store and handing them my orders ( which i believe they ended up faxing somewhere else) im sure having a unit letter head wouldnt hurt either .

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

If you want to break the contract, then tell them you wish to break the contract due to military orders. Then provide whatever they ask for. Do not provide them with more information than needed.

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

If you have Verizon they no longer require a copy of your orders.

You can either suspend your servive with billing or without billing.
    If you do so without billing those months just get added on to your contract. Just call them about a month or less out and tell them the day you want it to go off.

If you do so with billing your phone is off but you still pay the bill monthly and your contract runs out as normal. If you are gone for a while it's probably better and cheaper in the long run. to just break the contract and pay the fee to get it over with.

9. Jyokker

OR... you could tell Verizon to screw themselves and cancel the contract based on military orders. What state are you in?

10. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Yeah I did the same when I have the Verizon broadband internet card. Just called and asked them what they needed.

11. shiba

shiba Active Member

im in NY. Would this also work for a family plan? Not necessarily cancel service but just to remove a line.

12. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Cingular canceled my contract and didn't charge me the cancellation fee because I was on deployment.

13. JSin

JSin New Member

Cingular said I could put my contract on hold or pay the cancellation fee to free myself from the contract. Then I asked if they had ever heard of the Soldier and Sailor Act, they put me on hold, then came back and said they spoke to their manager and they could cancel the contract no problem. I didn't even need to provide orders because they could be sensitive in nature.

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

NC

I doubt they will just drop your entire contract without a fee.

15. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Why wouldn't they? If you are in an area where they don't have service then there won't be a problem. Verizon didn't work in San Angelo, TX so I dropped them using the SCRA, and T-mobile doesn't work in Japan so I did the same thing. Its worth the phone call to customer service and ask.

16. Jyokker

The problem is that the SCRA doesn't explicitly cover cell phone contracts, or general contracts. Although it would be wise for the business to absorb the cost of cancelling your contract vs paying a lawyer to battle a federal lawyer over one person's cell phone contract.

17. NPH

NPH Guest

AT&T (Cingular at the time), completely broke my contract without any fees when I provided proof of orders. I told them I was going overseas where there was no service available and they granted my request to cancel the contract.

Alltel on the other hand, like other providers will only offer to put it on hold or you can pay the $200 early termination fee.. per line. Fucking bullshit if you ask me. Who the hell wants to put their service on hold for that long? What if you PCS? You're looking at a 2-3 year hold.