question about FSB and Multipier

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Evil_Gemini, May 6, 2004.

1. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

OK guys, i know how to set the fsb and multiplier but one thing that is confusing me a little.

I just bought a xp2400+ 266mhz fsb and runs at 2ghz.

In the moboard settings, i change the fsb to 266mhz and set the multiplier to 7.5 so it gives me 2ghz BUT when i do that, the pc doesnt want to boot and the only way i can get it to boot and see it as a xp2400+ is if i set the fsb at 133mhz @ 15x or 166 @ 12x.

WHy cant i run it at 266mhz @ 7.5x ???

Am i getting mixed up with something ???

I have put together a few pc's and i have always wondered about this.

2. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

The rated FSB of 266MHz is just marketing speak. It really runs at 133MHz. They call it 266MHz because it is able to do two things per clock cycle (basically). You cannot set the FSB to 266MHz because the motherboard and components cannot handle that speed. In marketing speak, that would come out to aroung 532MHz. This is also the same thing Intel does. They claim the P4 has a FSB of 800MHz. It really runs at 200MHz and basically does four things per clock cycle. It is all based on marketing and putting out the biggest number they can because it impresses the masses.

3. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Woah....dude you need some VERY high quality RAM to support a 266 fsb. The fsb x multiplier is how fast your cpu processes information. Your fsb is how fast your RAM and cpu transfer information between each other. Your cpu might be able to support 266 mhz fsb but it will take a very specialized motherboard, some good RAM and lots of testing to ever get that high. You'll most likely need a hacked bios and maybe some physical mods to the mobo as well. Without an nforce2 chipset on your motherboard you're basically sol. Go find an overclocking forum if you want to learn more about how all of that works. www.ocforums.com is my favorite.

4. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

Thank you so much Steve, i had a big feeling it was something like that.

I dont think its fair how they do that to people.

Im glad i know now.

Just one more thing.

I bought a sticck of 512mb ddr 333mhz ram and i got told to run the ram the same speed as the cpu's fsb so it runs at its best.

Would that mean that i will change the ram too 133mhz since thats what im running my CPu's fsb ?

OT, i just built this system the other day because my old machine died on me and i have to say i am really impressed with my new PC's performance.

I havent got a video card yet, im planning to save and get something really nice. Just using a crappy old pci card but its good for now.

I recommend the XP2400+ 266mhz to anyone that wants a fast CPU but doesnt want to spend to much cash. I only paid AU$105 for it and it comes with a copperbased HS and a pretty good fan and the good thing with this cpu is that some older motherboards will take this cpu. My old board was about 1.5 years old and it could support an XP2500+ with a bios upgrade.

I only got a new board because power surge killed my old board.

I havent seen the cpu temps get higher than 44 C.

Not bad for a default HS and F ey ?

XP2400+ 266Mhz fsb = AU$105
    512mb ddr PC2700 = AU$129
    ASUS A7N8X-X = AU$98.
    450WATT case =AU$59

Not bad hey ? vbmenu_register("postmenu_18772101", true);

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

There should be an option in the bios that will let you set the speed that the RAM operates at as a divider. You shouldn't have to worry about it, though. Your mobo should detect it as 166 fsb. It won't hurt anything to run it at auto.