Question about four wheel drive v. winter

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by WyldKat, Aug 25, 2005.

1. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

It's looking like I might be getting this job which is about 50 miles away, I'm from indiana and I'll be taking US31 down to Indy, which is a fairly well traveled highway (four lane). I'll be driving a '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

I'm wondering what gear is best to have the car in when I'm driving. I'm sure it depends on how much snow there is.

Now 4x4 Lo is for the lower gears, mostly when you need torque, right? And 4 wheel Hi is for when you need more speed?

Typically speaking, it would be best to drive in 2WD right? Or should I drive in 4 wheel Hi for better control?

Please forgive a Jeep noob. :wiggle:

2. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Now 4x4 Lo is for the lower gears, mostly when you need torque, right?
    Yes
    And 4 wheel Hi is for when you need more speed?
    Yes

Typically speaking, it would be best to drive in 2WD right?
    Or should I drive in 4 wheel Hi for better control?
    Those both depend on road conditions. 4wd is going to give you better traction, but a vehicle that is not all time 4wd has slight problem handling the extra torque to the front wheels. On a solid surface like asphault the vehicle will feel slightly jerky at times going into sharp turns, but you wont notice that in the mud. I stay in 4wd while I am drivingin ice, but I live in the south and I am a noob at ice driving. I also take it slow. Dont forget to have good tires. 4wd is worthless without good tires.

3. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

Thanks! :wavey:

Yeah the tires are in great condition. It sounds like I should take it out in a snowy parking lot and learn how it handles. The winters up here are weird, they might be totally clear with no snow until january, maybe late january, then it can dump a ton and be very icey.

4. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

A parking lot trial and run error would probably be benificial. The biggest thing to remember is that 4wd does NOT make you invincible. It does not help stopping in the least, if you are in bad conditions you will not be able to stop well, regardless of whether or not you are in 4wd.

That being said, avoid low range unless you find yourself stuck and need the extra help getting back onto the road. If you are trying to travel in not so great conditions, try 2wd first and be careful. I have made it through the last several Ohio winters in a 2wd 5 speed truck with snow tires on the back without getting stuck once. If you are having trouble, then go ahead and use 4wd to keep yourself going. Do not use 4wd on dry pavement, it's not designed for that and going around turns can bind up the frontend, which over time will break things from the stress.

Also, high range uses the same gearing as when you are in two wheel drive, just with the front wheels being powered also. Low range uses a lower gearset in the transfer case, which multiplies torque and limits your top speed. If you could hit 30mph in low range, I would be surprised.