question about football players

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by illmaticnyc, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

how come guys like the linemen are so big and sometimes fat. you would think with all the training that they do they be a little more lean. or am i totally not looking at it the right way. you figure line backers do a lot of lifting and running. sprints.

2. jonno

jonno New Member

i'm sure all that is true.. but i'm sure they eat a fuckload

3. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

linebackers and linemen aren't the same thing...

linemen do different types of training than linebackers. their goal is to keep putting on mass, whereas other positions (recievers, defensive backs, etc.) are trying to stay lean

i think i got that right...

4. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

lineman's job ...at least on O line, are to be Huge immovable objects (with quick feet)

they just eat and eat

5. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

psu alum? so am i. graduated 2001

6. Alias

Alias OT Supporter

i was thinking of something similar yesterday... i was wondering how some big fatass powerlifter would do as a lineman... like, Gene Rychlak.

7. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Having played football in HS and since I know a few college players, its mostly a question of diet.

Obviously in high school the coaches don't really control your diet but if you're a lineman you're going to want to eat a lot to maintain your size and strength. In college they'll make you either gain or lose weight based on your diet, training, etc.

And Rychlak would get absolutely OWNED if he played football simply because he doesn't have any fundamentals or technique (that I know of). Plus compared to everyone else he would be really, really slow.

Hell Brock Lesnar who was a great NCAA athlete (national wrestling champ) tried out for the Vikings and got cut in training camp. Now if you took a powerlifter or olympic lifter and trained them at football for a few years they might have a better shot.

8. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I'm a Vikings fan and all....but are they really a shining example of a quality NFL team? ;)

9. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

That was kinda my point. If he couldn't make it there...

10. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

coming from a multiple-season all county high school lineman and retired college lineman - its all diet, technique, and training - as with anything other athletic thing.

I was 250 and still running a 4.9 in high school. Pro linemen arent training to be distance runners, they are training to have the endurance for 4 quarters 7 +/- 3 seconds of battle in the trench.

Hell, I kept up with the backs on my team til the ~45-50 yard line when they pulled away. And you'd be very surprised how quick many of those fat linemen are.

11. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

i played offensive line weighing 185-195 and walked all over guys weight 210+ and i only benched 135 max. but i had been playing line since i was 8 or 9. i only stopped cuz i injured my kneee and didnet want to fuck up my life for HS football.

12. remike

remike the second coming

you were 185 and max benched 135? :roflconfused:

13. V!

V! New Member

Do football players typically need diets that are different from those for most other sports? If so, how are football diets different?
    [​IMG]

• Football players competing at the college level have extraordinary energy and fluid needs. They also have very busy schedules and must balance training, practice, competition, classes, and homework. The challenge is to keep them fueled and hydrated. Overall energy (calorie) needs and specific nutrient requirements vary depending on time of season, body weight, maturity, personal food preferences, and position played.
      For example, an offensive lineman is focused on strength and power, whereas a running back is more concerned with quickness and agility. I develop meal plans accordingly to meet the individual nutrition and performance goals of the athlete.
      The timing of calorie intake is important. The ideal eating pattern for athletes is grazing, i.e., eating small meals throughout the day, to maximize energy intake for training and recovery.

14. cossack

yeah i know its sad. everyone around me was benching like 160+ it was my first time actually lifting weights though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  15. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

with that low bench how did you push people around on the field? i mean what sorta technique? leverage?

16. cossack

mostly leverage and technique, and i was faster than them so i was able to push with my whole body. once i got under them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.