A&P Question about filters...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Pineapple Devil, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

I've got a flourescent filter and I was curious about what setting I should use it in. I know flourescent lighting but i've also seen an incandescent filter before. how can you tell the difference between lighting to know which one to use.

Also, when i used the filter as i had my desk lamp as lighting it made the picture turn out more yellowish. Is that what its supposed to do, b/ci thought it was supposed to take the yellow out from flourescent lights

2. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Florescent lighting is the tube style bulbs and incandescent is a filament style lighting.

Some one will correct me if I'm wrong but, you should be using the WB settings on the camera instead of the filter. It would be easier and quicker.

Unless you only shot in that type of lighting. The filter is yellow so your pics will be coming out yellow or your camera is adding a WB to compensating for the incandescent and your adding the filter so you have double the filter strength so your pic look really yellow

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

so regular light bulbs that go into lamps are incandescent bulbs right?

do the tube bulbs produce a yellow effect in pictures or is it just normal light bulbs? how does the yellow filter properly affect the pictures?

4. eof

eof New Member

I think the yellow is incandscent and a white/greenish is florescent. I could be wrong....

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ok this works

inside house shooting (regular light bulbs) = tungsten white balance setting
    inside building shooting (long tube bulbs) = fluorescent filter or fluroescent white balance setting

6. mojito

mojito New Member

you don't need these filters for digital cameras, just learn how to correctly white balance a picture.

flourecent will have a green cast, but every bulb is different wave lengths, so differnt intencities. a 30 point magenta will solve the color problem, but flourecent lighting is one of the ugliest light sources you'll ever find. don't ever photograph a person under it unless thats the effect you want.

incadecent will have a yellow/ornage tint to it, and a slight blue or cooling filter will bring it back to a normal white.

google the kelvin scale to see where the differnt lighting souces fall and you'll see what that will do to your colors and how to correct

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yeah i didnt purchase the fld filter expecting to really even use it. it came with the circular polarized and uv filter as a set for $25

ease of wb control on camera > having to change out filters

8. eof

eof New Member

Polarized + UV + Fld filter for $25

I bet that is quality gear.... :hs:

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:dunno: works fine so far

10. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

on what lens?

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

sigma 28-200mm

12. redheat86

redheat86 New Member

Ive got my sweet $10 Hoya CP and it works like a charm.

you will prolly loose some sharpness from that set though.