MIL question about family briefing during deployment

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pepe, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Pepe

Pepe New Member

one of my best friends from high school is over in afghanistan and we just got a call from a friend of the family that his unit is in some sort of situation over there and they are making an announcement to the family members in alaska (where they trained) tonight at 1 am (eastern time).

if anyone has ever dealt with a situation like this, knows the protocol for something like this, or any other thoughts or ideas please post them up.

what i have gathered so far (from talking to others who are in or were in the military) is that if he was dead or seriously injured, his family would already have been notified about this in person. also, someone mentioned something about como blackout and that could be what the situation is about. another very reliable source said that they don't do briefings like this to inform family about casualties, but it is probably about a tour extension or transfer to another region.

if anyone wants to say any prayers or just keep him, his unit and their families in your thoughts i would greatly appreciate it.

also, if anyone has any contacts, his unit information is as follows..

edit out unit info, if you have army contacts you could ask, pm me and i can provide it

thanks for any info or thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. Julius

Julius Guest

i know a guy in their BTB, but he's on leave.

hopefully it's not an extension or some gay shit like that.

edit: you might wanna edit out unit info, OPSEC and all.

3. Pepe

Pepe New Member

thanks, i wasn't sure what to post if anything at all. right now, not knowing, i just want to hear any news so we can stop thinking the worst. thanks for your reply.

4. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

If it was an injury or death the family would be told in private, not in some mass briefing.

I'd say an extension or something like that to the deployment sounds like one of the better thoughts on it, but even then they don't owe the family members any type of information.