question about electronics and foreign voltage...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by m1lk, Dec 18, 2006.

1. m1lk

m1lk New Member

im going to be travelling to a country where the voltage is 220/240 instead of the usual 110/120, and im going to be bringing my ipod charger and laptop charger along. it says on the chargers "Input 100-240V". does that mean i dont have to buy any power converters for it, i can just plug it in?

also, i have a 1600 watt power converter, but my hairdryer is 1875 watts. can i still use them together, or would that be a bad idea? :(

2. 7960

7960 New Member

I plug my laptop in when I'm traveling and it does the conversion by itself. I needed an adapter for the plug but didn't need a separate power converter.

You should not use a 1600w converter with an 1875w dryer. But the bigger question is why you're bringing a dryer in the first place. Don't pack the converter and just buy a $15 hair dryer when you get there.

3. m1lk

m1lk New Member

whats the worst that could happen? :o

4. 7960

7960 New Member

it'll cause a fire, flames will engulf the hotel, and dozens of people will die while hundreds of others are severly disfigured and hunt/haunt you for the rest of your life

or it'll burn out, but you said "worst" :o

5. m1lk

m1lk New Member

:hs: ok ok, i guess ill have to buy one over there then

6. 7960

7960 New Member

call the hotel and tell them you need a hair dryer in your room... it'll be there, and best part, it's FREE!

7. emulex

emulex New Member

yeh also most of those power converters just don't fit

i guarantee most of the ones made don't work well in belgium and amsterdam (x4). they clearly do not understand the fit of the plugs they sell (oval) to the round recessed holes in the walls, which you will end up with a power converter that has to be wedged to keep from falling out.

most 5* hotels in europe have hair dryers, they are tiny ones. you know energy being so expensive et all