Question about dual core CPUs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LilMoh, Jun 27, 2005.

1. LilMoh

LilMoh When am I ever going to cook Tira Mi Su? Am I goin

How does dual core CPUs help in gaming. I heard it is mainly for multiple programs running at the same time and major stuff like that. But what does it do in gaming?

2. alreadyDEAD

alreadyDEAD New Member

3. LilMoh

LilMoh When am I ever going to cook Tira Mi Su? Am I goin

Well the Quake 4 engine is the DOOM 3 engine. So I would see higher preformance in DOOM 3 with a dual core processor? Well since is L2 cache is higher, then games like Half-Life 2 would work better too, right?

4. diranged

diranged New Member

1) On the Intel side, their Dual Core CPUs are vastly slower than their high end Single-Core CPUs. On the AMD side, their Dual Core CPUs are nearly at the same speed as their fastest single-core Athlon64 (non-FX) products.

2) Though some games will not be helped DIRECTLY by having two cores, they will be indirectly. Allowing all of the system resources to be taken care of by the 2nd core, and basically giving your game un-restricted ownership of one core at all times. This can make anywhere from a 10-15% performance increase given the same clockrate of the CPUs your comparing.

3) It seems that HL2 does a good job of using the 2nd core -- I have noticed that my utilization sits at ~70% when I play HL2 on my Dual Core X2 4600+ box, and I got a noticeable improvement in game play speed. Not frame-rate, but in actual speed of loading things, and less "slowdowns".