Question about dual booting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bcr821, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

Ok, so i just came across a beta version of windows and i'm curious on how to set it up in dualboot. here is my setup:

2 sata raptors in raid 0 as my c drive (2x36gb)
    1 ide drive (120bg)

now on my 2 sata drives there isn't room for another operating system, so i thought i would re partition my second drive to have 40 gig for vista. So, usin g partition magic i do this. But i realize that if i boot to the cd and just install windows will rewrite the mbr and have it boot to the ide drive, when my xp instal is on my sata drives.

How can i go about doing this?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't. Just don't even bother. Chances are Vista won't even install properly; it didn't work for me at all, and it killed my HDD's boot sector on top of that. Took me a whole weekend to get my computer running again.

I just noticed...YOU'RE USING A RAID0 AS YOUR BOOT DRIVE?? Dude, you need to fix that shit NOW. If one of those drives takes a shit, you lose everything. Hell, even if one of those drives THINKS that it took a shit, you lose everything.

3. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

so how would i go about fixing this? i mean i want my raid drives as my primary drives with my os on it

4. deusexaethera

No, you really really really don't want ANYTHING, let alone your operating system, on a RAID0.

If your RAID controller has more than two ports, read the instructions on how to add a third drive and "migrate" the RAID0 into a RAID3 or a RAID5. Then buy a third drive and perform the migration.

If your RAID controller only has two ports, you'll have to back up your OS drive onto your second hard drive temporarily, and then you'll have to destroy the RAID0 and replace it with a RAID1, either with your current 36GB Raptors or with newer, larger drives. Then you can restore your backup onto the new, safe RAID1.

5. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

RAID0=striping
    RAID1=mirrioring correct?

i dont' want to mirror the images, i want a 70gb hd, not a 36gb

however this still doesn't really answer my question on how to setup the dual boot....

6. deusexaethera

It's your business if you want to run a RAID0. I guarantee that you will regret it, eventually. If you buy a third 36GB hard drive, though, you can get your 70GB RAID and still be safe.

I also said that you should just leave Vista alone. Some people are using it right now, other people (like me) almost lost all their data when it fucked up their hard drives. What that means is, above all else, they haven't even made it stable enough to be reliably installed, much less used.

As long as you're willing to take the chance that Vista will destroy the boot sector on your main hard drive (that would be your RAID0, making this even more dangerous), then you can just install Vista from a bootable CD and it will set up a dual-boot for you.

7. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

i don't think i'm going to install it dual boot, and if i do install it i think i might just get one of my excess 30gb hd's and throw it in and disable my RAID array just to check it out.

just out of curisioty does a RAID0/RAID5 setup on WD Raptors even increase the performance of the system?

8. deusexaethera

Yes. Depending on how your RAID card is hooked up to the southbridge chip (that's the smaller of the two big chips on the motherboard), it might not be much of an increase, but it will still be an increase. And if you have a proper RAID (which is any RAID except RAID0), then regardless of the speed boost, your data is protected against being lost if one of the drives fails. You can just replace the failed drive and all the data will get restored automatically.

So it's at least a little faster and it's a lot safer. RAID is a good thing if you can afford the extra hard drives.

9. fr00t

fr00t New Member

10. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

11. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

I think i might pick up another raptor drive pretty soon, they're not too expensive...hopefully i won't need another raid controller

12. deusexaethera

I strongly recommend upgrading to their 74GB or 150GB drives, if you can afford it. The 74's and 150's have a newer kind of ball bearing inside the motor that makes them run a LOT quieter. They still make a lot of noise when they're accessing data, but that's just because the readers move so fast.