Question about dark spot on Rear Projection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

My last tv I won at work over 10 years ago. Now I have myself a new TV. yay....

Ok, here's the deal. I bought the tv used. The tv was origianlly shipped to best buy. It was recieved with a cracked screen. The guy I bought it from bought it and replaced the screen with a brand new screen. I bought it from him. TV was never used before. Brand new bulb..etc. (as far as I know)

Ok, I went and bought it and it was in his garage. Looked really good. Great picture etc. Nothing wrong with it. I brought it home and now there's a dark spot on the screen. [​IMG]

So I do a search. I read about it being dust and the tv was apart in this guys garage for quite a while so it is believable that it's dust. I go out and buy some compressed air. Take the bulb out... blow it off. Take the access panels off the side and blow off the inside as good as I can.

Same dark spot is there. [​IMG]

Question: How close to the mirror do you have to be to blow the dust off? The nozle of the compressed air is 12" away at least. Reason being I don't want the compressed air to 'put' anything on the lens. ( you know how if you tilt the compressed air bottle the white stuff comes out ... I don't want to get that on the lens) Sooo... looking at the lens inside it looks like there's quite a bit of dust on it. Little flakes of dust... nothing big. Should I hit it again with the compressed air but only from a closer distance. Or is it ok to get a lense-cleaning type towel and brush off the mirror?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the white stuff is just liquid hfc134a. It's evaporates very quickly.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

No one has any input? Don't know what to do.