Question about crunches and the workout fads with abs

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ItchySac, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItchySac

ItchySac Oh, thats the spot....

***Question at the bottom****

I remember back in the day when every informercial at night was some new way to do crunches or work your abs. They tried to sell you on the idea that not only was it the solution for somebody looking just to tone who doesn't need to lose weight, but also as a workout for those who need to lose weight..

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I started to incorporate some ab workouts into what I do at the gym. I use the ab machine where the bar sits on your chest and you lean forward picking up free weights. I also do the kind with the free weight handles over your shoulders leaning forward and slightly left or right. No exercise I do at the gym gets me breathing harder or sweating more than these exercises. Because of that I had been assuming I was receiving some cardio benefit from these exercises along with targeting my belly which is where I need to lose weight the most. So ever since I have devoted atleast 10 minutes on every trip to the gym to the ab exercises. But a friend of mine tells me that the ab exercises are not as beneficial as I thought, or atleast no more than the other workouts I do at the gym. In fact they can actualy make your stomach look even bigger.

Question... What benefit if any am I getting from working my abs this much? Is the fact that the exercises really get me breathing and the heart rate up, am I really getting any cardio benefit from it? Will these exercises burn fat from my mid section faster, or is weight loss simply a matter of cardio and all over weight loss?

Sorry for the long ass post...

2. phish

phish hockey crew

When you do abs, you're not 'toning' the fat away. You're building muscle and getting your abs stronger. If you want to see abs, you need to drop your bodyfat %. To drop bf%, clean your diet and do lots of cardio.

3. temp

temp Coach of the Year.

:werd:

and theoretically, you could make your stomach larger... if you don't drop the fat around the abs by dropping your overall bf%, adding muscle to your abs will just push it out farther.

4. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Bodyweight abdominal work would more likely decrease your stomach size than increase it. Adding weight and training your abs heavy might end up 'bulking up' your stomach.

5. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

there are better ways to drop BF% than doing "lots of cardio"

6. phish

phish hockey crew

Don't try to disagree with me just to disagree. I just gave him some solutions and doing 'a lot' of cardio will work and so will cleaning out his diet.

Instead of trying to troll, it'd be nice if you could add to the thread instead of trying to act e-cool. kthxbye

7. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

:ugh2:

instead of acting e-cool, by saying i'm trying to act e-cool.. why don't you shut the fuck up!??

kthxgetthefuckout :gtfo:

8. phish

phish hockey crew

I'm still waiting on hearing some of your tips and advice on how to drop bf%.

That's all I really wanted to know since you said there are 'other' ways.

:dunno:

9. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

how about lifting heavy weights?

building muscle will burn wayyy more calories and burn more fat that cardio alone. while you sleep, you'll be building/repairing muscle. Try doing cardio in your sleep.

10. phish

phish hockey crew

:cool: That works

11. ItchySac

Thanks for the replies everybody... I guess Im not targeting the belly fat with weighted ab exercises as much as I thought. But I am glad to know that even when I miss my standard cardio (walking), Im still doing good as long as I keep the weight workouts good and intense..

12. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

you want to see your abs and the only cardio you are doing is walking?

13. ItchySac

I don't give a rats ass about seeing my abs.. I was trying to bail the belly and thought extra ab workouts at the gym would help.

BTW, whats wrong with walking for cardio and lifting weights at the gym? I don't know what the rest of you fitness freaks do for a living to have all this exercise time, but I own a logging and land clearing company so I think its a damn miracle I even feel like doing anything after spending 8-10 hours in the woods everyday...

14. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Walking != Cardio. Cardio would be at least 140bpm on HR, if your HR gets to a 140bpm from walking you have to weigh like a 1000lbs

15. LancerV

:crying: Yes no one on FN has any life at all, we just eat and sleep and lift :ugh: I have 6hrs of school every MWF, 3hrs every TR, plus studying, plus running my own company, plus on Fri+Sat, I work two 10hr days, or sometimes 1-15hr day and 1 5hr day.

16. knucks

knucks Active Member

Says man-bitch Lancer.

17. LancerV

Yea Im down from 251 to 191, and started working out in Sept :hs:

18. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i couldn'd decide which was more comical to go after, spot reduction or walking being cardio

19. ItchySac

oh my bad for not being as obsessed with the male form as hsmith and Lancer.. :greddy:

This is the first I have heard that 45-60 minutes of brisk walking wasn't considered exercise. My apologies to brokeback mountain if I didn't use the word "cardio" in its absolute proper context.

20. phish

phish hockey crew

:hsugh: read the thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.