Question about compound...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jigga, Nov 22, 2001.

1. jigga

jigga while your gun's raisin, mine is blazin

hey scott,

i have a friend who's dad owns a car detailing shop. anyway, my car has got tonnes of swirls and little surface scratches on it, and he said that he could not use a compound on my car, because when my car was previously at the honda body shop being repaired (some lady hit me) they had compounded it too much, and he said i had little paint left on that section of the car... is this possible?

can my car have been done a bit too much? as far as i know, my car has only been treated once, maybe twice with a compounding.

was he jerking me around just cuz he didnt wanna compound it for me? or should i be careful and not get it done somewhere else... (cuz they may not be as caring, and just wanted the revenue from compounding my car)

TIA

2. Fryd_Up

Fryd_Up Guest

I wouldn't use the compound... I am speaking from experience cause I swirled my car pretty bad with it. If you want email me and I will send you a copy of the email that 3m sent me on how to finish it up and help get rid of the swirls.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Without actually seeing your car, it is hard to say whether or not your paint is thick enough. Maybe the owner of the detail shop has a tool that can measure paint thickness (I forget what they are called), and is concerned about burning through the paint. It definately is possible for someone using a compound along with a buffer and wool pad to seriously reduce paint thickness.

See the post about the scratchy black paint for hints on removing scratches and swirls.

4. jigga

jigga while your gun's raisin, mine is blazin

cool, thanks guys... as for using the tool, he didnt. he just looked at it.

uhm, the thing is, how could Honda, of all body shops do this to my car? :confused:

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Just because it is a Honda dealership does not mean the body shop has it's act together. I would never let a dealership do any type of body work on my car. Independent shops that specialize in high end vehicle do a much better job as a rule.