Question about component video.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Jul 24, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

I don't know if this is the right board to post a question about a television on but i didn't see a better fit one.

I got a Sony FD Trinitron WEGA model# KV-27FS120. right now i got everything hooked up with S-video. now from what my friend tells me, he says the jump from s-video to component video isnt too noticeable unless you have a HD tv. now what i dont get is, if thats true, then why the hell are there component jacks on the back of mine if it isnt hd. my main concern is it: is it worth it to get component cables for a xbox, ps2, and dvd player that all already have s-video....you know, money-wise.

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Component cables are cheap (don't get ass-raped by getting monster cables). Get a set and try it out.

Component > S-Video > Composite > RF.

3. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

but will the difference from s-video be enough to be worth my money?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i have a non-HD tv in the bedroom with component-ins... and colors do seem more accurate (peter's pants are a dark green on the family guy dvds) with the component cables. It's $10 for new cables... just do it.

5. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

You'll probably see minimal difference between the two on a standard definition set... not worth the cost of replacing cables IMO.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Like I said, go get some cables and test it out. I don't own your equipment, or your eyeballs. No one can answer that question for you. You can pick up a set for less than $10. Hell, if you have 3 decent RCA cables laying around, you can use those to at least try it out.

Edit: (I'm half drunk)

I'd say hit somewhere like Wal-Mart, get a set of cables and if you don't like it, take them back.

7. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

10 bucks, my s-video cables cost more than that wtf. but ya itll cost me more than that tho, because I'd hafta buy the HD advance adapter for xbox and another adapter for ps2 to allow me to hook them thru component, and also a video switcher box that has component in it.

8. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

i don't konw where this guy is getting decent composite cables for $10. most good sets will cost you around $25-30. i'm talking about properly sheilded, gold plated, etc.

9. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

composite?? were talking about component, but that doesnt seem right to me either. i have gold plated s video that i paid 15 each for
    id think the component would cost more, if anything

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have these : http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/dt6dc.html Check Circuit City... They're doing a new campaign where they're BEATING online prices. I saw something online for $19.99 (which was a good price), and CC sold it to me for $14.92 :noes: I am really starting to like that store!

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I just picked up a set of 50', gold plated, 12 gauge, 5 head component cables (3 Video, 2 audio) for $15 on eBay. Most of that "Good cable" stuff is just a scam stores use to makeup for their slim margins on A/V equipment. Stores like BestBuy markup A/V and computer cables between 100% and 500% or more. As long as the cable meets the engineering specs for the standard, you won't notice a difference with most home theater equipment.

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, $10. If you S-Video cable cost more than that and it's under 20', you got ripped. Why not try it out on your DVD player, I'm sure it has component outs already. Like I said, if you don't notice the difference, take the cables back. If you do like it, you can always just run the DVD Player, and keep the X-Box and other stuff on the other inputs.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

On a regular tv screen, probably not. On an HD screen, absolutely.