question about CLA/clarinol

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by crucialkc, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

i ordered some whey and was given an unopened bottle of PBL (Performance Biomedical Laboratories) CLA Plus with Clarinol for free. I am currently bulking and was wondering if I should take this now to minimize fat gain, or should I use it during my cut?

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

You can do either
    Objective:The incidence of obesity and overweight in the US has increased considerably during the past two decades and currently affects 65% of the adult population. Research has indicated that small, yet irreversible, gains during the holiday season contribute to increases in weight during adulthood. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a naturally occurring dietary fatty acid, has been found to reduce weight gain and dramatically decrease fat mass in animals. Although research in humans has shown inconsistent results, most studies have been of insufficient duration or have utilized body composition methods that are less accurate than the currently accepted criterion.Design:Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 3.2 g/day CLA for 6 months.Subjects:Forty healthy, overweight subjects (age: 18-44 years; body mass index: 25-30 kg/m(2))Measurements:Body composition by the four-compartment model, resting metabolic rate (RMR) by indirect calorimetry, self-reported physical activity and dietary intake, and blood chemistries were determined at baseline and after 6 months. Body weight was measured monthly during the pre-holiday season (August-October), holiday season (November-December) and post-holiday season (January-March). Adverse events were assessed monthly.Results:Compared to CLA, the placebo group showed a greater rate of weight gain during the holiday season (P=0.01). Within the placebo group, holiday weight change was significantly greater compared to the pre-holiday period (August-October) (P=0.03). Six-month change in body composition was improved with CLA compared to placebo (P=0.02), and body fat was significantly reduced within the CLA group (-1.0+/-2.2 kg, P=0.05). CLA had no effect on RMR, physical activity or dietary intake. The rate of reported negative emotions decreased significantly with CLA, although there was no difference in any other category of adverse event. In comparison to the placebo, CLA did not affect insulin resistance, blood lipids and markers of liver function or markers of inflammation, with the exception of a significant decrease in a biomarker of endothelial dysfunction.Conclusion:CLA supplementation among overweight adults significantly reduced body fat over 6 months and prevented weight gain during the holiday season. Although no adverse effects were seen, additional studies should evaluate the effect of prolonged use of CLA.International Journal of Obesity advance online publication, 22 August 2006; doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0803437.

3. Mass

Mass Active Member

an effective dose of cla is @ 9 grams a day, good luck

4. LancerV

3g is fine

5. crucialkc

in all of the articles i've read, it's always been advised that ~4g is sufficient for all body types.... 9 grams????? where'd you get that?

6. LancerV

3-4g's is fine

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

CLA is crap in humans

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

The only supps you need are creatine and fish oil caps, maybe BCAA if you feel like it.

9. crucialkc

I got it for free! I did not buy it. my question is if it's worth taking? and if not, why not??

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  10. crucialkc

bump for answer

11. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

You posted a link to some data on CEE from another forum (unfortunatly the link is at work), where you supported the guy's study on it. However, he also reported in another study that CLA was usefull. Do you ahve any information on this? I'm not looking for a miracle fat loss or anything, I'd just like to have my facts straight.

12. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

13. Marijuanair

I agree with all three, I would also add:
    Whey (obviuosly)
    Multi vitamin
    green tea extract
    ECA/Y stack when cutting

My personal expereiences tell me these are the only supplements worth blowing all that scratch on.

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yeah, they're worth it but whey is food IMO and whole food should take care of the vitamins and green tea is a great drink :cool:

15. Marijuanair

I cant think of a cheaper food source for that much protien and BCAAs :dunno:

I enjoy my whey shakes too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.