Question about Christophers routine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Gotcha38, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

I have been doing Chrsitophers routine for ~2 months now, and thought to look in the Training Logs, to see if my progress was on par with other people who were doing the same routine as me. I've noticed that alot of people on this routine are increasing the weight on their bench/squat 5lbs on either side of the barbell (or 10lbs total) every set. I on the other hand, have been increasing mine by 5lbs total every set. (ie 150lbs for the first set and 155lbs for the seccond and so on.)

My question is, what kind of difference does taking the larger steps in weight make? Does the larger or smaller increases make a difference in how the muscle is trained, or the intensity of the work out?

I try not to worry about the little BS details of this stuff, because I'm a noob, just wondering if it makes any kind of difference.

Thanks for any kind of help in advance! :bigthumb: This is my 2nd thread ever! :noes:

2. blam

blam New Member

You want your 5th set to reflect your 5 rep max. The jumps in weight in the 4 prior sets should be as much as you can handle without it effecting the weight you can put up on that 5th(max) set. So if jumping by 5 pounds means you cant really go all out on your last set then I would make the jumps bigger

3. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

So when you say 5rm does that mean, the most I can push for 5 reps fresh, just walked into the gym and maxing, or the most i can do for 5 reps after i do the other 4 sets? :confused:

I'm confused, so if that is confusing to read, I apologize.:hs: I'm just having troubble wrapping my brain arround this thing.

4. pablo86

pablo86 New Member

:wavey: i wonder the same thing everytime i work out. there are some dudes doing chris' routine that do 15-20lbs jumps.

5. blam

blam New Member

Yes, what you can do for 5 solid reps(not shacky or half assed reps) if you went into the gym fresh.

Here is an excellent thread on these types of programs: (it is what Christophers routine is based off . I actually first saw this posted on another site by a guy named Goldberg. I am not sure if christopher got it from him or what)
    http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375215

6. btatedash

btatedash New Member

the exact weight jumps aren't important, since the point of the routine is to keep it simple and use compound movements. i prefer 5lb jumps, because i figure the heavier the weight you use, the better; but use whatever you feel comfortable doing.

7. blam

blam New Member

The point of the 5x5 day @ a single weight is the volume

The point of the pyramid 5x5 day is to lift more weight.

Therefore on monday dont let the weight compromise the volume and on friday dont let the volume compromise the weight.

8. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

:wavey: I think saturday I'll just try the 5lb jumps so I start with alot lighter and see if my 5th set maxes go up any. I think they should, and that'll make me feel better about myself. :o

Anyone have Christophers AIM?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.