Question about certifications...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Feb 15, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

So, to those of you who are in the IT field, do you find that certifications carry any weight any more? I'm hoping to get responses from both sides if possible, those trying to get jobs and those who do the hiring.

I've been in a position to hire UNIX admins for the past 5 years and I have learned to place so little in certs. As a matter of fact, anyone that shows up touting their certs as if they mean anything automatically got knocked down a notch in my book. I don't care if they have them, but if they act like it means something it makes me question their experience in the industry.
    The only time I would want a person with a certification is if I was looking for an entry level person and I could see that they've at least put some time into the basics. The only problem is that these people also seem to think that a piece of paper says that they know something and thus deserve to pass entry level both in terms of responsibility and pay.

My issues with certifications are:
    - certification training and testing rarely matches real world circumstances. just because you know how to answer a question on a cert test doesn't mean you actually know how to do anything in the real world.
    - so many people who get certs focus on training to pass the test and not training to actually know the material. this means a person who can test well, but has little practical knowledge on the subject.

Anyway, what is your take?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You might not be considered if you don't have them if you have an HR department. They love their capital letters.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

I'm not asking for me. I'm asking in general. I have my one certification from when I first started and then 10 years of experience. I wouldn't work for a company that treats certs as a big deal. My experience is that level of knowledge/skill is inversely proportionate to the number of certifications a person has. That means, if a company places high value on certifications, then they are probably hiring a bunch of idiots already and who wants to work there.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

True - but you can figure that out by the interview - it's a two-way process. I wouldn't have taken this job if my boss was an idiot.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, what is your take on certs? you haven't really answered my question. while i've never run across a company that requires certifications, i'm sure there are those that limit the resumes you look at simply based on arbitrary guidelines such as certifications and such. most places would be more concerned about college degrees than certs though.

are you in the space to do the hiring or to be the certified guy?

if you are certified, aside from a little graphic that you could stick on your resume, do you feel that certification means anything? do you find that it is a good judge of your skill?

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I know there was a thread like this a bit ago that had input from both the HR/Management side and the employee side. I don't have a clue as to the title of the thread or a general idea of the date though.

If I remember right, what I got out of it was that a cert. can only help get someone through the door. After that just forget all about it.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

To answer your question, no I don't think having the lower end certs mean anything - neither does an older higher end cert. And any degree doesn't say one thing about your ability to do the job.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008