Question about cardio if I'm trying to build muscle mass

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Inferior_Light, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inferior_Light

Inferior_Light Dear Homer, IOU one emergency donut. Signed Homer.

Is cardio even worth it?

When I started working out I spent a at least a full hour lifting weights. I have now adjusted that schedule and I now run for 30 minutes and lift for about 30-45.

Is cardio a complete waste? The only reason I do cardio is to cut down on my waste line (which appears to not be working).

My ultimate goal is to build muscle mass and get those washboard abs.

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Keep doing it and working out. You probably won't put on any muscle but you may keep most of the muscle you have while you lose fat.

It sucks bad to go to the gym week after week and not get any stronger, trust me I know.

3. Inferior_Light

Inferior_Light Dear Homer, IOU one emergency donut. Signed Homer.

Should I increase my lifting or is it just getting canceled out by my cardio?

Should I run first or after lifting?

4. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

It's not really the cardio that is the problem, it's trying to gain muscle on a caloric deficit. Your body doesn't really like to do that much.

Also, when you're doing cardio and not eating as much you start running a real risk of overtraining if you throw something extra in there like not getting enough sleep or lifting "too much."

People say that it's hard to overtrain and it is, but it's a possibility.

Just lift the same amount that you have been doing, do cardio after lifting. I've been doing 140 bpm range on the eliptical or treadmill for 30-40 min 6 times a week and the weight is coming off me quickly but I'm getting slightly weaker.

5. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

any fitness program should focus on strength, cardiovascular fitness and flexibility. To many blokes smash the weights really hard and end up unfit and fat. Trust me, I did the same thing when I first started out.

Place a higher emphasis on which component you see as your biggest downfall. Ensure adequate nutrition and protein intake and you shouldn't notice much in the way of lost gains.

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I agree with you here, I'll be doing cardio as part of my training forever, even if I bulk. I feel so much better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.