A&P Question about camera policy at concerts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Apr 3, 2008.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I'm going to see Ben Folds play at the TU Reynold's Center tonight and I was hoping to bring my camera, but I'm not sure if they'll let me bring it in :hs:

The TU website says that cameras with "professional lenses and professional flashes are prohibited."

I'd be taking my D40x with a Tamron 70-300mm (manual focus telephoto ftw :hsugh:), do you guys think there's any chance in hell that they'll let me in? I'm doubting that they will, but I've never taken my camera to a concert so I wanted to ask people with a little more experience :o

I mean, technically the D40x and the Tamron lens aren't professional equipment :hsugh:

2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

highly doubtful

3. aCab

aCab New Member

I put mine in my girlfriends purse when I go to concerts.

4. bradh

bradh New Member

You can try to put it in a purse like mentioned... but no way they will let you in with it if they see it.

That or print up some fake press badges :mamoru:

5. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Thanks for the opinions, I ended up leaving the camera at home. I didn't want to risk being denied and having to walk the camera back to my house.

After seeing the other cameras they allowed in I think I could've gotten away with taking my D40x/18-55mm (the 70-300mm might have stood out a bit though :o ). Their wasn't much of a crowd at all and I ended up standing <20ft from the stage, so the 18-55mm would've been fine :wtc: Oh well, at least I'll be ready for the next show.

6. Spurious

Spurious New Member

If you had an X(ST)(i) without a grip they wouldn't have said anything. :mamoru:

7. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I thought about it :o I've got the OT press pass .rar somewhere on my comp. . . do you think they'd scrutinize it?

8. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

I know someone who once wrapped up their telephoto up to look like a burrito to an event. Shit actually worked. Although you'd have to be allowed to take your own food in, obviously.

9. disgusting

disgusting is this a girl or a guy? b/c i got a hard on OT Supporter

you gotta sneak shit
    people always axing me about cameras yea
    i tell em i a reporter with channel 4 or i a student doing a project or i just drive off :oopsie:

10. Redsand187

Redsand187 OT Supporter

Just separate the lens from the body. Works best with smaller lens of course, and if you are with someone else. One person carry the body, one the lens. Put the lens in a case marked Canon or Nikon, and just show them that, and say it's your camera. Most security guys will see the body of a camera without the lens attached, and think it is just a normal point and shoot. Hell, there cameras out there on the market that look like SLR's that just has one permanent lens.

If you ever get called out after passing security just play dumb and say someone else told you it was okay.

Or if you really want to shoot a show buy a ticket and get in contact with management as early as possible, weeks even. Say you are big fan and a photographer and would like to get a press/photo pass. If you find the right person to talk to and explain your situation most of the time they will hook you up. Especially if you aren't asking for all-access, just pit passes. Or you can always show up really early and snoop around. Chances are you will meet someone from the crew or band that might be willing to help you out.