Question about C++

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Dec 1, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Every time I come across something talking about C++, it's always saying how beautiful of a language it is and how nothing else compares. I'm sure a lot of this is people being loyal to the only thing they know. I personally would love to know what the big deal is from an objective point of view. From someone who has a good amount of knowledge of software engineering and programming languages (Nocera, Astro, etc). I've never had enough time to get into it myself. Aside from memory management, why is C++ loved so much when compared to Java and C#? What is it that C++ does so well that Java and C# do not? Probably basic questions for the C++ guys but I'd really like to have a discussion about it. :)

2. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

I don't know whether what makes it BEST is the right question to ask. There are a lot of things to consider before choosing a tool to do any job. It's the same thing as asking if a shovel is best for digging holes. It is great for digging a hole that is 2x2x2 meters but it may not be the best choice for digging a 2x2x2 km hole.

3. samm

samm Next in Line

I think the benefits stem from the fact that C++ is more of a preprocessor to the C language, which in itself is very old and widely used.

The object oriented nature of C++ can be compared to Java, but Java also includes features like garbage collection which can save development costs yet hurt performance in the long run. Maybe this is why we don't see high performance applications written for the Java and Sun's JVM?

I don't program for Microsoft environments so I can't comment about C#.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

well if you're talking strictly about syntax, then I don't see all that much of an advantage.. It's even really hard to compare what you mentioned (Java, C#) to C++ because they are not compiled in the same manner C or C++ are. C++ is probably the closest you can get to just writing assembler yourself and the speed is a big factor.

Can't imagine writing a 3D application, or anything really intense in java or C#. The performance is just not there. They are more geared towards the RAD (Rapid Application Development) side of things. They both offer great tools, and good runtime goodies, but both also come with dependencies... the famework in which they must be executed under.

5. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

well said, the performace of Java and .Net langs is simply not there when it comes to graphical applications. Yeah if you wan't to write a simple GUI for windows, C# or VB.net would be great. But you will not be able to write a good 3d game using them. As sled said, the overhead of the framewroks is another cost. Although I must say that .Net is a wonderful development env. I believe a monkey could be tought to use it. Thats how user friendly it is.