Question about buying used

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by blue_fox, Aug 16, 2009.

1. blue_fox

blue_fox New Member

Hi, it'll be my first time buying a vehicle. Just wondering what paperwork I should expect the seller to give me after the sale has been made/what do I need to sign.

It's an '05 Suzuki GZ250 for $2000. Blue book's $2190. Maybe I can ask for $1800 :dunno:

2. Mint

Mint Active Member

A pink slip + bill of sale usually.

The former isn't needed and is more for the protection of the seller, than you. But it does prove you BOUGHT the bike.

I guess you can ask the seller if he'll make one, and if he doesn't you can easily. Just google it.

3. blue_fox

blue_fox New Member

Thanks!

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

You mean the latter, not the former.

5. PcH

PcH Guest

I'd like to know more about buying used privately. Title of the bike? What else should the seller give when you buy?

6. blue_fox

blue_fox New Member

I'll tell you when I see him this morning for the deal :)

7. blue_fox

blue_fox New Member

I can't find a generic bill of sale for ohio :( I just want to print something out we can fill in later, not some online thing where I have to fill in info. I didnt find one with google or ohio's dmv website

8. bs2100

bs2100 New Member

I just have them sign the title over to me right then and there. I just make sure it's actually in their name and there aren't any liens on it.

I've seen a few vehicles for sale and the second I hear something about how they don't have a title or it's in someone elses name I walk away.

9. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

why does that scare you?

10. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

troof. not worth the risk

11. CantDrv55

CantDrv55 New Member

Correct. I know states vary, but in Ga you can just sign the back of the title as you say, that serves as a BOS. Anytime I sell an old bike or car though, I always print a separate BOS to go along with the title, just to be on the safe side. Also, if the seller prints a separate BOS, read it well to make sure they don't add something you aren't aware of.

12. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

cause i've gotten burned by that cause a car i bought from a guy was in anothers name. on the back it was sold to him he just never had the car titled in his name, and when i went to title it i couldn't get it transfered over because he had to be the one to transfer it. I couldn't just pay the fee, and i went to his apartment he had left everything he owned and left his dog too wich died and i never was able to get the car legally in my name. So long story short never buy a car thats not titled in right or if you do go to the tag office with them. Also never buy a car from someone that lives in a halfway house