GUN Question about Buying online + Friendly local FFL Dealers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sebeck, Sep 14, 2006.

1. sebeck

sebeck New Member

I live in Northern VA and I'm finding that it's hard to find a dealer that will allow me to do transfers from online retailers. I talked to a guy I work with and asked if you need to be friends with your local gun dealer. He said "It helps". So is this more of a good ol' boy network type of thing?

When I approached my dealer to do a transfer from my dad in FL they were more than happy to do it. I ended up flying home with that gun though. When i asked about ordering through online retailers he kind of gave me a runaround answer like he didn't want to do it. I know he would rather me buy from him.. but if i'm not going to buy from him wouldn't he like to at least earn the $35 or whatever it is for doing a transfer?

I'm looking to order from classicarms.us maybe some transactions on gunbroker.com and topglock.com

Any hints or ideas?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its nothing shifty at all, its just business. Alot of them would rather make you guy their high markup guns than do some work and get $25 for it. Most of the gun shops around me I found to be the same way. Hit up some of the local pawn shops and see what they charge. They're usually quite friendly and will be happy to do your transfer and take your cash.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Like soy said i hear pawn shops are good for that, we dont have pawn shops around here though :wtc: Hit up a bunch of local places see who will and wont do it, sometimes you can even get the local shop to come down in price on the item you want.

4. sebeck

sebeck New Member

Okay, i'll do some more searching. It's just that this one gun shop i'm always in has the gun I want but it's wayy over priced. He already said that he wouldn't come down in price because he isn't a dealer for that brand and he special ordered it for someone that couldn't pay. The reason I go to that shop so much is because they have a range.

5. sebeck

sebeck New Member

I was thinking about pawn shops today. I'm sure they will take my $25! haha Thanks!

6. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

You can always check on gunbroker for the FFL's that'll do transfers in your area. It has prices listed on there as well. It doesn't have all FFLs listed on there, but I'm sure if they're on there they'll be more likely to do it than one not on there. http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

7. mvizos

mvizos New Member

Two places I know of, since your location is NoVA.

Purcells store, in purcellville. It's a drive, he's got good prices on firearms, but his transfer fees are a bit higher.

PURCELL STORE
    141 MAIN STREET
    PURCELLVILLE VA 20134
    540 338 8080

Virginia Arms, manassas

http://www.virginiaarms.com/
    VIRGINIA ARMS COMPANY
    9760 CENTER ST.
    MANASSAS VA 20110
    703-368-3949

Bought a couple guns from them, but their website shows a $20.00 fee for transfers from out of state, which doesn't seem too bad to me. Good people, just a bit higher prices than purcells when buying new.

Those are the only places I deal with, and I actually have my transfers done by purcells, just because I prefer traffic going out route 7 compared to trying to get to old town manassas, because of where I work.

8. sebeck

sebeck New Member

Is this place also known as dominion arms? If it is I talked to that guy for about an hour. He was a character. Real real nice!

9. sebeck

sebeck New Member

This actually helps alot! I found a guy very very close to me. Thanks! Now i just need to call or stop in and get the skinny! :)

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Most places with actual store fronts can be assholes about it. My favorite are the FFL's that try and charge you sales tax based on the value of the gun, total bullshit. Or they guys that charge a % of the gun value, I hate that shit too, it doesn't matter if it's a Jennings or a new Les Baer, the amount of work they have to do is the same.

Look for FFL's that operate out of their home, or non-gun releated business, most of those guys are much better to deal with. The guy I use owns a Polaris dealership and FFL's on the side.

11. mvizos

mvizos New Member

I don't think so, but I'm not positive. Virginia arms is in old town, down the road from the courthouse. I think dominion arms is on Rt 28? As you come into manassas, from centreville, you pass laws auction, and then you come to a stoplight. CVS / Rite Aid on the right, Dominion arms down a little and on the left? Tiny little shop? Mostly clothing, and a couple of guns.

If so, went in once, couldn't get helped, couldn't stand the guy, they had NOTHING in stock.

Virginia arms on the other hand, well lit, EXTREMELY well stocked, very helpful people.

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Evey shop is different. You just have to find one where they're straight with you.

-Low, fixed transfer fee ($20-25 or less and there's no reason other than greed for them to base it on the value of the gun)
    -no tax (its up to you to pay the appropriate tax to the seller, not up to your FFL to collect it. Some say this as a way to get a little extra in their pocket.)
    -same price for rifles and handguns (sometimes NFA stuff will involve more paperwork, but otherwise there's no reason to charge more)

This said, even if it costs you $20 more sometimes, it's supportive of you and usually pays off for you to build a relationship and buy direct from a local dealer that has something in stock or will order for you.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Guns & Ammo Warehouse is in Manassas, south of town. They might do it.

Also try Shooter's Paradise on Rte 1 in Woodbridge.

Nova crew :wavey:

14. sebeck

sebeck New Member

I totally agree with you. But around here the price difference is $100-$150 and that just isn't acceptable.