question about building a new pc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Drunk Bastard Audio, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

If I go ahead and just build a new pc...exactly how difficult would it be? I can't see it being to difficult..but being I've never pieced one together before it would be a learning experience.

I would need the following correct:

Tower/case
    motherboard
    processor
    ide cables (friend said most hard drives come with them)
    hard drive
    350-450w power supply
    3.5 floppy drive
    cd drive
    dvd-r/rw drive
    video card
    onboard sound
    RAM
    OS
    cooling fan

Is there anything I might've overlooked? And being I just want the pc mostly for multi-media (dl'ing and burning mp3/movies)...the video card wouldn't have to be to crazy...just good enough, 128mb probably.

Anyone have any suggestions if I choose to go this route?

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

oh and preferrably for less then 8-900$ total

3. You can get most, if not all your parts from newegg.com and I believe they have free shipping.

Just get a compliant ATX case, they range from 40-100 dollars depending on style and material. Steel is generally cheaper, then aluminum is in the higher scale. Look for an Antec case which usually comes with a nice powersupply. If you buy OEM (original equipment manufacturer) it will include the bare essentials, so in the case of harddrives you would not get anything except the harddrive itself. You save tons of money buying OEM though.

Anyways, start off searching for stuff on newegg and ask for reviews/opinions of specific products, but rule of thumb is, stick with a major name brand and you've saved yourself some headaches already. Newegg also has user reviews, so make use of those.

4. Drunk Bastard Audio

i did list everything I need essentially though correct?

5. Yes, but I would ditch the floppy and cdrom drive. Obsolete stuff. Your DVD writer will read everything you have, but for a movie watcher like myself, I prefer to get a stand alone DVD rom so I don't stress the dvd-r.