question about body work :x:

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by cedric, Apr 29, 2005.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

Since the garage dogs forum closed, I figured you people would be able to help me out :x:. Anyway, I need some repair work done: front bumper replacement and fender reshaping. The total estimate came out to $994 tax & labor included. They can save the fender but they have to reshape it a bit and it's labor intensive. Anyway for a new front bumper, mixing/matching paint and a little under 9 hours of labor, does that price sound right or am I getting ripped off? The place I'm going to does great work, and I was happy with their results the last time so quality is not a concern. help? :hs:

2. black 3g

black 3g Guest

What is the year and the model of automobile?

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Fender and bumper? Around $1000 sounds right for quality work.

4. cedric

99 honda prelude. I asked around and a few people said it sounds slightly above average, but if it's good work, then that's not a bad price. does that sound about right to you guys?

5. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Honda preludes there is a lot of them in the junk yards, I would find the same color that's in good shape and save half that and you can do it your self??

6. MandibleTongue

MandibleTongue New Member

sounds good, new bumpers usually get 3 or 4 hours of of labor and probably 3 for painting the fender and another 2-3 to reshape it.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I agree with Northpac, if you can find a good fender and bumper swapping them out isn't too hard. A Chilton's manual will definitely help so you know where all the mounting points are. I put a new front clip on the Chevelle I used to have and after removing all the bolts I could see couldn't figure out why the fenders wouldn't come off-until I got under the car and saw a couple more. I'd say it took me 3 hours or so to remove the old front clip and attach and align the new one. Newer cars tend to have a lot of hidden bolts though so it might take longer on other cars.

8. cedric

I've been searching for a while now, locating a fender and bumper in the right color in good condition is a pain in the ass. I can do the work myself, I've removed the front bumper cover numerous times and I know how to take off the fender. But the cheapest I can find a new fender and bumper painted is only slightly less than what I'd pay the body shop, plus they wouldn't be able to color match, so I figured I'd have the pros take care of it. Thanks for the help, guys. I'll let you know how it goes. :wiggle: