MIL Question about becoming Air Force Pilot

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Zee916, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

I have a question about becoming a fighter pilot for those in the know.

I am a ME/MATH major at a private 4 year school right now. Unfortunately, I did not join the ROTC early enough so I am now in this position.......

If I want to become a fighter pilot is it possible to become an Air Force officer once I graduate college?

I realize there are also many tests/reqs for pilot status.

If you have input: I am 6'0" tall and weigh 155lbs lean with muscle. Strong physically in every area.

GPA is about a 2.91 which is on a + - scale also.

No know allergies, illness, problems with law, and have never had any medical problems with bones or whatnot.

How possible is this goal and what is the competition like? The only thing I worry about is my eyes, as I would need corrective surgery, but I have heard they do a special one that passes the reqs.

Thanks for any input as I am not much in the know on the subject.

Zach

2. J

J Active Member

You seem to be in the know just enough to know that this is a great place to get in the know, you know?

J

3. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Your vision and GPA are going to be a kick in the balls in your attempt to become a fighter pilot. You can still possibly do ROTC which is the way to get a pilot slot if you ask me. I think they have a two year program. Go take the AFOQT (study, it'll offset your GPA) and talk to someone at the detachment.

If that isn't for you then you'd be applying for OTS. Competition is rediculous for the OTS boards. 600+ applicants with lower than 20% selection rates. They get the pick of the litter. With a below 3.0 GPA you would be working your butt off with the rest of the package to get into the group of maybes, rather than the group of definite selectees at the board. Just a thought. If you still want to go to OTS rather than ROTC check out this website.

http://www.airforceots.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I'm assuming that you want fixed wing. If rotary wing aviation appeals to you, there are a couple of Army guys here that could give you some advice.

5. Zee916

Yeah, fixed wing.

I didn't realize the GPA was going to be such a deciding factor. It says on the ROTC website that all is required is to keep above a 2.0.

Do they take into consideration your major? I would have a 4.0 in any other discipline, not that that matters now.....

Thanks,

Z

6. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

There are requirements, and then there is being competitive.

7. Zee916

I understand that completely.

I just don't see how some retard with a 4.0 in whoolly boolly sociology or history is more competitive than someone who has an engineering and math degree.......

I realize being an engineer is not the only way to fly a jet, but being in a multi million dollar aircraft and you basically went to school to learn to read and write if you got those degrees............ :ugh:.

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

You will be competing against fellow engineers for the most part, and the majority will have 3.5+ gpa's.

9. Zee916

I guees I need to call and talk to someone because 2 or 3 other people have given me some very different information even though this would make sense.

10. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

coming from someone who recently got a slot

your eye's are #1 issue. The eye exam at Brooks is brutal, you will be disqualified for that. You can get fliers can get PRK once they are already in.
    2nd is your GPA as Brackac said you will be up against people with very high GPA's. And having a technical degree the USAF will decide whats best for it, not whats best for you, meaning they will put their manning requirement and needs before your wants.
    competition for fighters is extremely fierce, there is really no other way to put it, its the most coveted slot, period.
    and you really need to have shown some basic flight aptitude before you go apply, go take some flying lessons or something.

11. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

good luck

12. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

and liberal arts majors with 3.5 to 4.0's with private pilots licences.

13. Zee916

So I should stop now if I need surgery to be 20/20?

14. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

get in writing, what you need or what will disqualify you.

15. Zee916

It may be this way, but I'm not impressed. I learned that shat in high school. Would have been a waste of money on college.

I will never see how people with an english degree are more qualified than someone with a technical degree, especially for this, but......:wtc: :wtc:. LOL.

16. Zee916

Taking flying lessons is seriosuly a good idea?

And do you know anything about OCS and how that factors into becoming a pilot?

That is what I would be doing if taking the route.

17. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

yea dont fail OCS, you should idealy have a contract before you go to OCS.

and yes you are really not competitive at all if you have no basic flight aptitude. you are trying to sell yourself to the air force.

two best resources are:

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/id...ea=RS_USAF&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_070655

http://www.baseops.net/archive/archiveupt.html

18. Zee916

That makes sense.

I assume that the most demanding part of OCS is the physical part. I looked at the regs and can score at least 95% in the 3 groups.

19. Zee916

I hope there not puting everything down to your grades in college. I know some super super smart people that cant drive a 5hp go kart in a straight line lol.

20. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

How is someone with a technical degree more qualified?

21. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

because unlike you who could be a developmental engineer, they can be in a bunch of non rated positions that don't require a certain degree. I'm not even sure if they look at what you got your degree in. in ROTC one of the biggest things that determines if you get a slot is what your detachment Commander thinks of you.

meeting the minimums isn't "excellence in all we do." But, Cs get degrees. GPA is small compared to some of the other things that go into consideration.

you have to be a super stud to get a pilot slot out of OTS. The average pilot score on the AFOQT is in the mid to upper 90s. only certain dgrees qualify for the two year program. He could very easily condense the four year program into a three year program. He could even slack off in the middle and take some masters classes or some other BS classes to kill some time and boost his GPA.

you're far more qualified to be a developmental engineer than they'd ever be. the big thing is your leadership ability and your flight aptitude.

almost everybody in my class that started out wanting to fly planes got kicked out or dropped out, well maybe everybody.

I wouldn't say that they are. they may tell you how it works and be able to tell you why it does what it does, but that may not directly translate into flying better. The only thing that they can do that the non technicals can't is become a USAF test pilot. from that point they have the chance to be an astronaut. I was an engineering major for a semester because test pilot sounded cool, but I couldn't stand the course work and we're pretty close to the end of manned flight in the fun stuff. F-35 & F-22 may end up being the last manned fighters we produce. besides my new major is on the campus with all the hot womenz. there aren't many hot ones on the south campus.

for the record I still don't know what I want to do on the AF...

22. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

first, don't worry about the "fighter" aspect of it - you will select your track and later your specific airframe while in pilot training and it will be based SOLELY on your performance during UPT (undergraduate pilot training)

now, to get a slot - most people have hit all the major points. also, be aware that things change often due to the needs of the air force - vision/grade requirements, etc. just because it was easy for one guy to get a pilot slot a few years ago doesn't mean it will be for you. force manning requirements, time of the fiscal year - all that stuff plays into how "hard" it is to get a slot at any given time.

also, don't forget that (if you pursue a commission), you are an officer first and a pilot second. if you're not willing to fulfill the obligations of a US military officer, you're not ready to be an air force pilot. the air force (unfortunately) is not the flying club that it was during the cold war. deployment tempo is up, crappy new assignments like UAVs (predator drones) and ALOs (air liason officer - pilot who advises the army on use of airpower) are very common, and the good deals are few and far between. you can expect to spend at least several tours of duty NOT flying your aircraft if you decide to make a career out of the air force.

i'm not trying to dissuade you, just give you some perspective. do your research - specifically, check out www.baseops.net forums - they have a subforum designed specifically for your question.

23. SweetDaddyO

push hard to fly, either pilot or nav

it really is the best deal in the air force, regardless of the problems we're having or will have in the future. rated is where it's at.

24. SweetDaddyO

:mad: quoted because it got buried at the bottom of the page

25. Zee916

I don't think I want to be in the Air Force my whole life.

I think that I do have the ability both mentally and physically to do the job, but obviously as I knew, the path is difficult.

I have contacted the detachment commander and he is going to call me tomorrow. Hopefully that will clear some stuff up.

Thanks for all the info. All has been helpful.

Zach