MIL question about BAH v.geographical bachelor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mikdavi84, Sep 29, 2009.

1. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

we have a soldier here whos wife is in california living with her mother. barracks management is saying he can only live in the barracks for 15 days before he has to move out or give up his BAH.

smells like bullshit to me. we have plenty of space in the barracks and as far as im aware BAH is so soldiers can provide adequete living quarters for their families. its completely unreasonable to expect this guy to pay rent for two places.

are they any regulations on this? no one here seems interested in helping this guy out

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

why should the government have to provide two places for him and his family to live? This only encourages fraud.

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

4. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i would agree with you if there wasnt UCMJ and other ramifications for not taking care of your family, not paying bills, etc.

5. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

What UCMJ is that?

6. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

you've never heard of soldiers getting articles 15s over financial issues? because I sure as fuck have

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I think what he is getting at is that he is only getting one BAH but is also taking up space in the barracks. Until his family moves out with him(if they are) his options are to either live off base or live in the barracks. However until that happens he would have to make two rent payments if he lives off base or take up space in the barracks. If they take away his BAH he won't have that money to pay for where his family that is still in cali is living. It isn't that his is getting BAH x2 but that he is taking up space in the barracks and still getting BAH which is supposed to be withheld and paid to whoever manages the barracks.

8. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

http://pom-ima.monterey.army.mil/legal/family_law/army_support.pdf

Army regulation 608-99 requires the provision of adequate temporary financial support to family members. The regulation is at http://www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r608_99.pdf
    While the required support amount may be stated in terms of BAH or BAH II, the soldier’s obligation to pay this amount to family members is not contingent on whether the soldier is either entitled to or actually receiving this amount. Soldiers who are geographically separated from their families are expected to provide financial support for those family members. Appropriate arrangements may include a joint checking account or voluntary allotment

An IG's biggest workload generator.

BLUF: If you are not providing your wife or estranged wife with Gov't Qtrs - you must have a verbal agreement to provide her living arrangements. If she contests this agreement - you will have to begin paying BAH II (The formula is in AR 608-99).

9. MrRyan

This is simple:

1) Be single live in the barracks
    2) Be married, live in gov't housing
    3) Be married, receive BAH

Choose one of the three - there's no "my wife wants to live in California, my wife wants to live in Florida. It's cold in New York"

I can hear the WAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE coming. You're receiving money for housing. I don't care where she lives, figure out how you're going to make it work off of your paycheck and BAH. No more double dipping. This violates many government ethics regulations.

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

TRUF!
    Otherwise, I could go live in the barracks, my wife could live with her family and we could pocket BAH each month.

11. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Pretty sure we had tons of this going on in Germany. I remember my 1SG would get these huge 9k paychecks that included BAH for his wife back home, and OHA for him to live on the economy. :run:

12. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I agree. There isn't a middle ground and I guess his best option would be to live off base somewhere cheap so he can still collect his BAH and have some left over to put toward rent at his other place.

13. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

that is totally legal. if your stationed in europe and you wife/family stays back in the states the army will pay BAH for her/them.

14. DaRkPhAnToM

all your wife needs back in the states is to show a lease and you will get BAH for her staying home while you are stationed in Europe

15. DaRkPhAnToM

she has to have her mother write up a lease saying she is paying room and board. when that is shown along with marriage certificate and birth certificate (may be more documents needed) he will start recieving BAH for the zip code her moms house is in. totally legal.

o wait reread your post. is he stationed in europe? if so this is correct. i am not sure if he is stationed in the CONUS and this still works out, i been OCONUS way too long...

16. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

And for him to get the BAH for Germany as well? I guess it's nice that his wife is not forced to PCS with him...but that's a lot of extra money to spend. I would have thought he would be paying her rent out of pocket if she had the option to move into the housing he was given in Germany.

17. MrRyan

Can't force family members to move outside the US.

18. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Gotcha.

19. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Marines have Geo Bachelor barracks were they pay like $1 per day to live in an open squad bay if they are married, family is not with them, they are not using up govt housing, and they live back home. They still receive full BAH.

20. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I know as a geo bach on Lejeune I had to vacate the barracks while my wife at the time lived in FL. A few others had to do so as well when space was running out which I understand.

Some places have a BAQ of some sort which you can stay and they charge you for but it's minimal.

21. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I'm next door at New River, geo barracks is $1 a day.

22. Julius

Julius Guest

wow, deja vu. i had a soldier in the same exact situation. he was technically a geographic bachelor, but our BN CSM was pressing for him to move out of the barracks.

the end result was him having to move off post and pay rent, despite the fact that his wife was pretty much using all of it in california. we had plenty of room in the barracks too.

23. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

this is kinda funny cause i was forced to move in the b's before i could receive BAH

24. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I had tried to get in there, but it was full so I just got an apt....right outside of where you are actually. :eek4: