Question about an upcoming build

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by c.a, Oct 14, 2007.

1. c.a

c.a New Member

This is the first time I've built my own computer and I have a quick question,

is it possible for me to go ahead and buy the hard drive for it now, hook it up on my current pc, then put the os, and all my personal stuff on it so that whenever I get all the parts for the new build and put it all together it will be ready to go with a minimal amount of set up time?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

can't do it that way. You need to have the drive physically installed in the new computer to load windows on it. Technically it is possible to do it, but you're in for the biggest pain in the ass of your life to get it running properly.
    Your best bet to get all the data moved over is to either put both computers on the same network or to take the drive out of your old computer and put it in the new one and copy the data over.

3. c.a

c.a New Member

well there goes that idea, thanks

4. Dugg

Dugg Member

Well, I did just that with my computer that I built. I found a hard drive on sale so I picked it up before I got all the parts to build my pc. I installed WinXP on it and all kinds of other stuf. When I got around to building my new pc I just put the hard drive in it and started it up. Everything came on and a way I went :dunno: I have heard that you have to have the hard drive in when setting up a new pc, but I didn't know that before I did it. Maybe I just got lucky?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it will work. But it'll never perform properly.

6. Dugg

Dugg Member

What will happen that it won't perform properly? Is there any way to fix it?

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Way to fix it, reinstall OS from scratch. Basically when you install the OS and all your old drivers, when you change hardware (especially motherboard) you cause a lot of conflicts. The system itself will likely be more unstable and slower.

8. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Werd - all of the internal hardware (motherboard drivers, onboard modem drivers, network card drivers etc) will automatically install on the first machine.

If you move that HD to a totally different new system, you're going to run into trouble with conflicts etc.

Seriously a clean install of XP on a brand new PC should take less than 1hr.

You could always download programs that you want to use and save them to USB memory stick or a CD/DVD. Then you have them ready to install on your new PC.

9. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

...or, if you insist on using it in the meantime, set it up as a secondary drive on your existing machine and create two partitions- one for your personal files, the other to remain empty and unformatted until you go to load windows.