Question about Alpine SWR-1241D subs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Whalephat, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

Alpine lists their dual voicecoil SWR-1241D sub as having a power handling ability of 1000W peak / 300W RMS. Is this 300W RMS per voice coil or would it be 300W RMS across the two voice coils (150W ea)?

Crutchfield's web site says it is the latter of the two. Neither Alpine's site or the sub's documentation support or refute it.

2. 04

04 Guest

150w per coil. The RMS rating of a woofer is never in per coil specifications unless otherwise specified.

3. Whalephat

Thanks, man. I was pretty sure it was per coil but wanted to confirm that before I made any sort of decision involving my check book. :big grin:

So feeding this speaker wired parallel (2ohm) via my MTX Thunder 6500D amp rated at 500W-2ohm mono would be a bad thing then? I'm not looking for SPL, necessarily - just good clean sound. I rarely if ever crank the volume to even 90% of max on my deck with amp gains set at 3/4 max.

4. 04

04 Guest

No, it wouldnt be bad. The amount of power a speaker can recieve before damage is also related to how long you play it for. Like if you gave it 1000w for 1 second, there would likely be no problems. But if you gave it 1000w for 10 minutes, you would probably smoke it. Music is dynamic, however, and only for brief instances are you actually even giving the woofer 500w, unless you turn it up very loud to the point it is clipping hard.

Also, note that it does matter what your amplifier gains are set at in relation to the head unit's volume control. Dependant on the output voltage of the preamplifier, at 3/4 gain on the amplifier, and 90% volume on your head unit might be putting the unit severly into clipping. Clipping is not a bad thing, most people set their systems up so that they do, but you have to match the gain on the amplifier to the headunit to get a good estimate of how much power your speaker is getting.

5. Whalephat

Thanks again. I'm a little more confident in my choice of sub now. :bigthumb:

Would you believe that I'm an EE by education and that I'm sitting here worried about crap like this? Heh. Ask me what I've done with that degree in the past 10 years! NOTHING. :rofl:

6. 04

04 Guest

Really, your an EE? How come you havent used your degree? :(

How much do you remember from those days? There is more I can tell you about the power handling if you remember a few key points....

7. Whalephat

Yeah... when I graduated college I had a few offers in industrial settings but all of them involved high current 3-phase and that stuff made me very nervous so I opted to pass. I ended up doing some work with automation controls, quality assurance systems (bulk materials metering) and stuff like that but eventually went back to my first love: data communications.

I remember most of the basics from my EE studies and could probably dust off a few brain cells and remember more if I dug out my notes and a few text books. That shit was fascinating! :big grin:

8. Whalephat

By way of an update...

Ordered an Alpine SWR-1241D sub today. Will start building a box for it sometime after Christmas I guess. Too much going on between now and then to really do it justice. :(

9. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

great choice in subs imo. :)

10. Whalephat

Tnx... I research this sort of thing to death and then some before I actually make the purchase. :)