Question about Alpine indash DVD player

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by amill94, Dec 30, 2004.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I bought an Alpine DVD unit today. I hooked everything up and it works fine. MY only problem is you need to hook one wire up to the brake light, and another up to the e-brake light. To watch a dvd, you need to hit the brake, then put up the e-brake handle. The place I bought it from told me it can be bypassed by hooking up a switch. My only quesiton is how? Can I hook up both wires to a constant 12v source, then just switch the brake one on, then off, then turn the e-brake switch on? I'd like to be able to play dvd's while driving so passengers can watch it.

2. dvn

dvn New Member

There is an electronic switch that bypasses it, but I forget what its called. if you search on elitecaraudio.com or caraudio.com, you can find it. I bought one a while back but was too lazy to install it so I wired a switch in.

The switch was an e-brake ground switch. engaged, the ebrake sensor was grounded. So basically, you only had to hold the foot brake down, flip the switch off then on, then release the foot brake, and the video would be on until you either flipped the switch off or turned the car off.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Thanks man, we actually did exactly that. I wired the brake pedal wire to the actual brake pedal, then we just hooked up a switch to the e-brake wire from the headunit, and the other side to a ground. So basically I just hold the brake pedal, then turn the switch on, off, on, off...and I get video.