MIL Question about AF OCS and non-technical degrees...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Slipstream, May 8, 2006.

1. Slipstream

Slipstream New Member

Alright, so I graduated with a BBA (in Management Information Systems) a couple of years ago, and have since been working with some small businesses. I make a decent salary, and get to work with/around cars (basically data collection and distribution for car dealerships), but I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything in life.

I'm considering joining the Air Force in order to make a difference both in my own life and to help protect the country that has given me so much. My father was a career AF officer, and my brother spent half a dozen years as an enlistee. Both entered the service with little direction, and left with excellent skills and a path in life.

My question is... How likely is it that I'd be selected for OCS with a non-technical degree? I'm not totally sure what I'd want to do, but probably something in the realm of operations management or battle management; I'm no engineer, flight surgeon, or fighter pilot. I've heard rumors that unless you graduated with an EE, ME, or CS degree, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle, and I refuse to go in as an enlistee (I don't want to throw my four year investment in a degree down the toilet). Any truth to this?

2. Slipstream

Slipstream New Member

And yes, I thought about talking to a recruiter, but I'd rather first ask people who are objective on helping, rather than, well, recruiting.

3. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Sounds like your in the same boat I was a year ago. Whats your GPA?? I was told by numerous recruiters that with anything less than a 3.5 non-tech dont even bother applying, of course thats up to you. Long story short, Air Force just doesnt need people right now. I even talked to a AFROTC detachment about getting a commission, found out that the AF is so desperate to cut people that they are allowing scholarship cadets walk away after four years and not have to serve 1 day in the active AF. My solution was to just forget the AF and apply to Army OCS. No biggie since I didnt even want to be a pilot anyways. Different branch, better OCS chances, same MOS (Intel).

4. Slipstream

Slipstream New Member

My GPA was unfortunately a 3.05... not terrible, but certainly not overly impressive. I have thought about the Army, but I feel like my interests and values fit better in the Air Force. I don't have any great desire to be a fighter pilot, but I'd certainly consider a nav or heavy pilot slot. I've also really taken an interest in space command or air battle management.

5. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

This site should help you out. There are many people looking to go AF OTS and they can answer your questions plus you can compare yourself against others.

http://www.airforceots.com/portal/index.php

As for the Army, if you want to fly, they say to really go Warrant and go to WOCS. Then at a later time you can move over to apply for a commission. If you just want to get a commission in the Army the selection rate is near 100%.