SRS Question about addiction to alcohol...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by joy division, Oct 14, 2005.

1. joy division

joy division New Member

Over the past year I've been drinking more and more, at one point I was getting drunk every night for at least a month...but when I went home (2 thousand miles away) I didn't have a single drink, didn't even think about it...there was no reason to, I didn't feel like having a drink or anything. So my understand is that my drinking here (in a big college town, with one of the highest microbrews per capita in the US) is a product of more location/environment? Or am I just in denial?

I did the test on AA.com, and only answered yes 3 times...but I seriously drink ALOT these days. 4 times a week at least. I've never seen either of my parents have a drink, but I guess my uncle was a serious alcoholic for a LONG time (hes been clean for 20+ years now though). It just seems like here when I even don't want to drink I end up with some alcohol in my hand one way or another and it all goes hill.

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Well, 3/12 is borderline in my opinion. Sometimes a geographic change (such as going home) can curtail drinking for a little while, but given enough time with a real alcoholic (or potential alcoholic) the drinking will inevitably return, usually the relapse will be far worse than the original drinking.

It's not really about how much you drink, but how you drink when you drink. Hopefully that makes sense, but if you drink yourself stupid everytime you drink, it may be a sign of a problem. The statement "...even when I don't want to drink I end up with some alcohol in my hand .... and it all goes (down) hill" is definitely not a good sign.

My reccomendation is to attend some AA meetings, see if you can relate to what people are sharing about. Try to listen for similarities rather than differences, and see if you can listen to people's feelings even if their actions are different. If you're uncle is a sober member of alcoholics anonymous, I'd suggest talking to him in depth about his story and see if you can relate as well. You may want to curtail your drinking for a little bit as well. If you find that you cannot stop even if though you really would like to, that's yet another sign of a problem.

3. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

Someone once said, if I take one drink I never know if I'll wind up drunk or not, if I'll get in trouble, if I'll get a DUI, if I"ll go to jail. When they look at it the other direction, they find they only get in trouble, go to jail, get drunk, black out, after they take the first one, hence one is too many and a thousand never enough. If you go in for just a couple, like I used to, or just one, and wind up drunk, even when you don't intend to, there definitely might be a problem. You can read some of our stories in the thread "My Story" to see if you can find some similarities.