question about a wireless bridge

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BiggDoggUNC, Jan 18, 2009.

1. BiggDoggUNC

BiggDoggUNC Show me a good loser... and I'll show you a loser.

I don't really know jack shit about them so my questions may seem a bit elementary.

If I bridge two routers wirelessly, does it extend the range of my wireless network or is the bridged router's wireless dedicated to communicating back to the main router?

The problem is I have my office, my living room, and my master bedroom running diagonally in my home. My router is in the office, I get ok to good reception in the living room, and a weak signal in the bedroom. If I put a bridge in the living room (to stream movies, play games, whatever), will I see a pick up in signal strength if my wife's in the bedroom on her laptop or will signal strength stay the same?

Any other creative solutions that don't involve me dropping line would be appreciated.

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I've bridged two WRT54Gs with DD-WRT, and the bridge is the bridge - we had to get an AP at the end of the bridge to share the wifi from the bridge. Of course, I only ever did this once, and it could be that I just didn't know what I was doing - but it stands to reason that if the radio is busy dealing with the bridge traffic, it wouldn't also be broadcasting as an AP. Dual-radio routers might be able to do both simultaneously, I have no experience with those.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i'm pretty sure your radio can be in bridge mode or AP mode, but not both. can you put the router in the living room? it sounds like that is in the center.

4. BiggDoggUNC

BiggDoggUNC Show me a good loser... and I'll show you a loser.

I'll have to look into this... thanks