A&P question about a softbox v.verynewbie

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by tetsuo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i got one of those cheap amvona softboxes. when i attach it to the front of the cheap ass strobe i picked up for next to nothing, it just points down. i guess it can't support the weight of the softbox. would a better quality strobe work better? is there some trick to mounting a softbox that i don't know? can anyone help a newbie out? :wavey:

2. charel

charel : explorer

I put helium in mine, works like a charm.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Most softboxes attach to a device called a "speedring". The speedring attaches to either the light or the light stand. The strobe also attaches to the lightstand and points thru the speedring firing into the softbox.

You might want to look for some accessories that will allow you to mount your softbox independent of the strobe.

4. tetsuo

i've got that much, but when i attach the speedring to the front of my strobe, it won't stay pointing where i want it. the weight is too much for it, i can hear it stripping out as it points down. this isn't the stobe i have, its just an example.
    [​IMG]
    its like this joint here can't support the weight. i was just wondering if i need to buy a better light and it will just support the softbox, of if there is some sort of a bracket that i need to help it stay up. i know i need a better stand for it, but the stand wasn't the immediate problem.

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I wouldn't buy a "better light", I'd buy a better swivel stand to hold the weight of the light + softbox

6. tetsuo

:squint:

7. tetsuo

ok, i'll have to look tonight to see if it comes off or not :o i've been thinking about getting a better one anyways, cause the one i have was a really shitty one i got for $30 or something :mamoru:

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I bought a couple of these and they work fine

http://www.adorama.com/BG2905.html