Question about A New Hope & Luke's Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Surgie, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

Maybe someone who's more observant than me possibly knows the answer to this question, but did Luke take his lightsaber with him onto the death star? And if he did would it have had a different effect on the trash compactor door than the blaster did (I'd assume so)? Granted I know it wouldn't have been good drama if he had just cut the door into nothingness but I can't remember the movie saying one way or the other if he had the lightsaber with him at the time (tucked into the utility belt or something).

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I suppose it was left hidden on the Falcon. Lightsabers don't accessorize well with Storm Trooper armor. :)

3. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

I guess not... I still think I'd have found a way to tuck it away somewhere, you never know when you're gonna need a lightsaber :big grin:

4. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Not to mention, he was still just learning to use it. Before they boarded the Death Star, the most he'd used it was against a remote onboard the Falcon. We never see him use it again until the beginning of Empire. He probably just wasn't comfortable with it yet.

5. pixie

pixie on one wild ride :naughty:

:werd:

It was also something from his father, who he just found out was a jedi knight, not whatever random thing Owen said. He wouldn't want to lose that on the DeathStar, so I could see him locking it up tight on the Falcon.

Besides, it was so new to him... would he have even thought to use it on the door? & if so, it wouldn't have worked very well on the door-look at how much work Qui-gon had to do to attempt the door in Phantom.

6. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

But didn't Qui Gon have to cut though TWO layers? I remember them closing a second blast door. :dunno:

7. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

everyone knows trash compactor doors need heavier magnetic shielding than a Trade Federation control ship bridge door... :mamoru:

8. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

i personally think Luke wasnt proficient enough with the weapon at that stage to even bother taking it with him into combat. he had the stormtroopers blaster. that was enough (& kept with the disguise).