Question about a few 600s

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 127.0.0.1, Oct 5, 2005.

1. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

between an F4i, ZX6R, GSX-R 600, and an R6
    ive been riding dirt bikes for two years or so, and will be taking the local MSF course before I do anything...but this is mainly a question of reliability, cost to repair, and approx what i should pay.

since its my first street bike, i would rather not spend anymore than $3000 (will most likely lay it down), but I dont really want to get a 250 katana, and be bored in a few months.

I do not know very much about older R6's or ZX6R's, my knowledge on them are mostly about the newer models.

I see there are plenty of each on cycle trader, as well as on ebay, but will I get a POS for that amount of money. (even if its a mid-late 90s model)

Thanks

2. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I took the MSF course first and it helped alot. I have no experience in dirt bikes but a guy taking the MSF course also has been dirt biking all his life and he says that street bikes are much different. The only thing that may have helped was his confidence on the bike. For $3000 it will be kind of hard to find anything new as you may have already noticed. Depending on what you are looking for in a bike. Newer bikes will obvioulsy have its more technological advances such as fuel injected, upside down forks, 4 piston calipers etc... I started learning on a 636 and it was not hard at all picking it up especially after taking the MSF course. Best thing to do is to pick a bike that is comfortable and of course get the bike checked if you plan on going for a used bike.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

street and dirt are two very different animals.

I'd avoid a race replica as a first street bike. Find something more forgiving than the bikes you mentioned. The MSF is just a course that teaches the basics and not much else.

Ride a beater for a year and then use the money you've been saving to get the bike you really want.

4. BlMMERGUY

BlMMERGUY New Member

my buddy is desperately trying to sell his 2001 f4(carb) great starter bike i think its got 18k miles got about the easiest life ive ever seen. he wanted 4.5 but thats kind of a lot. in great shape and never been down. homey rides like a poon and wants a cruiser. i think he'll go for 3,800 $ if youre serious. 3 gs aint gonna buy you much. maybe buy wrecked and fix it?

5. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Whats a 250 Katana?:mepoke:

Seriously though. You would be best to take an MSF coarse and then go from there. Look into a cheap ($1000 -$2000) GS500 or Ninja EX500. Ride it for a year or so then sell it for about what you have in it. By then you should be ready for a larger 600cc Race-Rep if thats what you want. Take the rest of your money and buy gear and insurance.

6. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

oh, that was a typo. I'm glad you noticed that, because I did not. (250 ninja is what I was told to get when i started riding dirt bikes, and I was reading about katanas when I made that thread.)

I am taking the MSF course, like I said. And I've been riding 250s for the most part, but have plenty of seat time with 400s. I think taking steps like that is sort of a waste of time. Not that I dont appreciate the advice, but going from a 400 to a 500, when I have experience on dirt, and am taking safety courses is kind of rediculous. I'm a college student, and do not have the time to worry about buying and selling cheap bikes for an overstated learners curve, when I am not a first time rider.

7. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

You can pick up a clean 600 for $3000. ther eare plenty of 00 and up 600 for sale.

all jap manufacturers make good bikes so pick the color/style you like and enjoy

8. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I was just messing with you about the 250. I knew what you meant. I wish you the best of luck any way you decide to go. Just remember to respect the motorcycle. I ride dirt too, usually you don't have people in 6000 lb SUVs trying to run you over while your on your dirtbike though. Riding isn't the problem. It's those panic situations that can really get you. The smaller bikes are more forgiving, but can still get you hurt. Take your time, learn, and enjoy.

9. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

10. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

11. V!

V! New Member

Yamaha R6

It's a really nice bike and I think it's a good one to learn on

12. boibleu22

boibleu22 Active Member

damn, i was just at barnes reading some magazine (ill let you know soon as i find out) that did a comparison of all 4 bikes u just mentioned...

the article was basically geared towards you (someone looking for a good used bike that doesnt wanna shell out the money for a brand new one)

basically.. the F4i won out in the comparissons...

even though it seemed much more tame than the others, the quality and build is what won over the writers. the ninja second... and the other two next.

<-- F4i owner.

they were all 2001s that were tested, btw.

13. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

From what I have heard, F4i's are easier on new people because the seating position is more comfortable than the other bikes

14. noxxs

noxxs New Member

the thing is alot of them know what they're talking about. its not just 400 -> 500, its 400 ->600. carb -> possible fuel injection, coef of friction on dirt -> coef of friction on pavement, huge jumps -> huge semi's ( i dont think that one helped the cause). the point is you can get a smaller bike for a year or so, or at least a learner 6, and turn it around and sell it just as easy as you bought it. it'll save you the time of having to repaint. and dont say just because you ride all the time on dirt you wont drop it...everyone drops once. but i really dont know how good you are, just reminding you some things.

15. silverceli2k

silverceli2k I

16. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

:werd: Ive put a ton of miles on my 02, its been an awesome bike :)

17. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

My f4i will be for sale in the spring or now if the right buyer comes along.

18. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister New Member

I purchased a new R6 this year and love it...But after 5000miles, I have the itch for a R1 next season. I took a local MSF course as well, and it was really boring for me. I seemed completely advanced compared to the rest of the group having only ridden my bike for 31 miles. I never had a motorcycle before my R6, but as soon as the Yamaha dealer dropped it off I took it out with no license and no experience and did absolutely fine. I've had atvs my whole life, so as long as you know clutch (and have confidence in your ability) you can jump on a bike in my opinion.

Pick up any of the 600s you mentioned and you'll probably have a blast. I'm Yamaha loyal as a result of years of good service/products, so, I'm a bit biased towards the R6 line...but you really won't go wrong as long as you do your homework. The only time the 600s feel like dogs is when you have a girl on the back...then you'll want those extra ccs...but then again, you really shouldn't be doing anything stupid anyhow with a passenger.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Just jump on, get that license, and be safe. Let us know what you decide and we'll welcome you to the family.

19. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister New Member

Oh...and for the guy that's saying buy a crapper because you're going to drop it in the first year...Knock on wood, but as long as you're smart and not a complete ass you don't have to lay it down...

Although, it's always a matter of when and not if. Just always pray it's not today. Enjoy.

20. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Being smart on it is a requirement.
    The problem is that most of the race replica bikes are really touchy and even though you may be a smart rider, you could still end up in trouble.

They aren't good beginner bikes.

21. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

A good thing about oklahoma, is you can legitimately ride almost 10 months out of the year. It starts warming up in february...and right now, the weather is 70+ degrees.

22. Frequency

Frequency New Member

i ride year round in PA minus snow :dunno: oklahoma weather i'd kill for

23. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister New Member

I disagree.

On another note, I'm still riding in the 40s and low 50s in Illinois. It is getting brisk, though.

24. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Sorry, but race replicas aren't usually a good thing to start an inexperienced rider on.

Would you put a brand new 16 y/o driver in a 911 or a Z06?
    Hell no! You'd stick em in a POS that they'll have better luck learning on. Not having to pay astronomical repair prices would be another benefit.

You can say you'll be careful, but these are twitchy bikes. Is it really smart to start a new rider on one of the fastest street legal machines on the planet?

25. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

should i invest in something like steering dampners? i dont know if the older F4s have them from the factory.

i have heard too many horror stories about head shakes that end tragically