Question about a cron job

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by k2737, Sep 30, 2006.

1. k2737

k2737 Active Member

I have a cron job setup to run a script that parses through are maillogs and emails me the results. It also runs another script that uploads the results to a shared drive. Now when I run the script from the command line it works fine, but when cron runs it, it doesn't send the email...but they files do get uploaded. Any reason why email wouldn't work from cron? :o

2. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

It is probably because of the shell that the cron is running under. If you run a bash shell normally then put a '/bin/bash' in front of the cron command that you are trying to run. That will make sure that you run it in bash.

Give that a shot.

3. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Alright I will check when I go into work tomorrow...I can't remember if I had that there or not. Also I will post the script itself...maybe I have some typo? There are no errors in the logs though...

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Ensure the environmentals are getting sourced within your script or in the cron job. Also redirect the output to a log file, or check the users mail, and check the cron log to see if it ran successfully.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Dammit. I posted about checking that $PATH was setup properly for cron, and if you were using fully qualified paths: mail or /bin/mail?

6. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Is crons log /var/log/messages? Cause thats where I looked for errors before :hsd:

7. k2737

k2737 Active Member

I am not using the full path...should I?

EDIT: I guess if the evironment variables are correct it doesn't matter right?

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Use the full path in order to avoid environmental variable problems. But no, if the environment is setup it shouldn't matter.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

No. There's a specific log for cron.

Depending on what OS you're using, but it seems like you're using a flavor of linux, so it's /var/log/cron

At this point, it doesn't matter if your environment is correct or not. You need to ensure it is sourced within the cron job line or within your script.

For instance, let's just say all over your ENV is in ~/.bash_profile

You need to source that within your script.

Put that before all of your variables or right after your shell declaration:

#!/bin/bash

. /home/app_user/.bash_profile

But before we go through all of that, to troubleshoot set -x within the script or make your cron look like this

0 20 * * * /bin/bash -x /path/of/script > /tmp/output.out 2>&1

So when it's supposed to run you see what fails or what doesn't fail in the /tmp/outout.out output.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  10. k2737

k2737 Active Member

:bowdown: I will try that tomorrow.