Question about a broke ass computer :mad:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xXVERBXx, May 26, 2004.

1. xXVERBXx

xXVERBXx Tungsten Carbide Member

well my Mom said her computer was acting weird, it kept restarting, well i proceeded to install spybot1.3 ran it, froze up after 3rd of the way fixing the problems:ugh:... then i installed ZoneAlarm... and it said it need to reboot to complete.. well after it rebooted, it shut down again, i was leading up to installing virus scan, cause i figured it was that recent virus:ugh:

And it wouldn't even boot back up. So I unplugged it waited a few minutes, plugged back in, hit the power button, and the only thing that happen was the power button light goes on ... no hard drive boot up, no fans, nothing, I have no idea where to go next ... the only thing I could think of is a fried processor or fried mobo....

and ideas... its a fairly old P2-3:dunno: gateway, 1000ghz :o

2. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

OK, here is what u need to do (assuming that it is a Windows/virus issue). Buy Norton Anti-virus. Boot off from the CD and use it to repair the virus. Ods are that you will be unable to repair ALL the virus's so i would use the winblows bootdisk or a program like Knoppix to get all the files off from it, format and reload.

3. Stev

Stev Active Member

yea kinda sounds like a hardware issue if it is randomly shutdown and now wont boot at all. try swappin out the vid card/RAM if u can.

4. Stev

Stev Active Member

sorry i meant to add HD swap too.