Questing about running during cardio.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DC, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DC

DC OT Supporter

Notes: remember, I'm a 360lb man trying to lose a lot of weight.

Since I've upped my training program, I'll go upstairs to the indoor track at our gym, which is a soft surface, much like a normal track. I'll walk 2 laps, then do a dead on sprint for a lap, then repeat around 5x. Should I wait until I weigh less to run to avoid any knee problems or anything? Or is running OK, since I've did it for a couple of weeks already and not had any problems?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

it's a padded track, so I'd think it's ok as long as you have decent shoes and your gait itsn't all messed up, but stop running if you start to feel pain.
    Just remember, what you're doing would be considered HIIT, or high intensity interval training, and can be really tough on your heart if you don't build up to it, so take it slow at first.
    Has your doctor ok'd your program?

3. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

if you're worried about joints, try something with lower impact to start (elliptical machine or a bike)

4. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

I dont know honestly, 360 is pretty big. I dont want to say one way or the other.

5. caribou

caribou New Member

sage advice.

6. xcrnr

xcrnr New Member

Your going to want to run slower for longer distances to start then add some faster stuff an all out sprint is more strenous on your heart and your joints.

7. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

I'm working slowly into HIIT and I'm only about 25 lbs overweight. If you are doing it already, you are going to hurt.

I suggest spending about 30-40 min on an elliptical machine. You get a great workout with very light joint strain, I personally do better on it than on a treadmill or bicycle, and you can program it into light intervals. Make sure you hold the heart monitor though - you want to make sure you don't climb to high.

Try to hit the peak of your interval, and get your heart rate up, but NOT TOO FAR, and then relax as you come down. You are still doing interval training, but not as intensive.

Because this is less painful than what you are doing, and you can concentrate on what is going on, you are less likely to fall off the wagon.

When you get down 1-2 hundred pounds, then you can revisit your current plan.

8. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Its hard to give advice over the computer. It all depends on your body. If you're able to do that type of exercise then do it but if i was to recommend something for you i would concentrate on strict dieting and weight training until you where either at about 20% BF or until i was sure you wouldn't hurt yourself. Again i'd make diet and weight training first but if i was going to recommend something more intense i would recommend a recumbent bike.

9. xela

xela So say we all!

This is what I suggest. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.