LGBT Queers -VS- Boy Scouts...who did you think would win??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CoCo, Mar 9, 2004.

1. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

LOLOL.... Sooo, the Boy Scouts Got :Owned: by the Gay Agenda!!!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court allowed Connecticut on Monday to remove the Boy Scouts from a list of charities that receive contributions from state workers because the group excludes gays.

Without comment, the high court rejected an appeal by the Boy Scouts arguing the removal violated its constitutional right to freedom of association and was discrimination based on its viewpoint.

A U.S. appeals court ruled that removing the Boy Scouts from a state workplace charity drive did not violate its right to expressive association under the First Amendment. The group had participated in the campaign for 30 years.

The Connecticut State Employee Campaign Committee removed the Boy Scouts from its list of eligible charities in 2000 after the state's human rights commission said the ban on gays violated state anti-discrimination and gay rights laws.

Under a policy followed for more than 20 years, the Boy Scouts do not employ "known or avowed homosexuals as commissioned professional scouters or in other capacities" because "such employment would interfere with scouting's mission of transmitting values to youth."

The Boy Scouts, founded in 1910 and based in Irving, Texas, refuse to register "known or avowed homosexuals as adult volunteer leaders or youth members."

The group, which also does not accept atheists or agnostics, says it has the right to decide who can join.

The Supreme Court ruled in 2000 by a 5-4 vote that the Boy Scouts may exclude gays on the grounds the private group has the right to set its own moral code and espouse its own viewpoint.

More than 2.5 million youth members and 1 million adult members are active in its Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and other groups.

The Connecticut workplace charity campaign lasts from September to November each year and allows state employees to make voluntary donations through a payroll deduction plan.

The campaign allows donations to more than 900 charities, including religious and advocacy groups, the Girl Scouts and gay rights groups. The New York-based appeals court ruled the Boy Scouts failed to prove Connecticut applied the state's gay rights law in a discriminatory manner.

The Boy Scouts appealed to the Supreme Court.

It said the ruling was part of a growing pattern of decisions and state actions that have excluded the Boy Scouts and traditional religious groups from government programs because of their views and membership requirements involving "religious belief, morality and sexual conduct."

Five states -- Alabama, Idaho, South Dakota, Utah and Virginia -- supported the appeal, as did various religious groups and the American Legion, the nation's largest veterans organization.

Lawyers for Connecticut argued that further review of the case was unnecessary and there was no factual basis for the claim by the Boy Scouts of viewpoint discrimination.

2. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

huh... I was in boyscouts for god knows how long. by most people I'm seen as gay, and I'm agnostic. go figure.

3. CoCo

...I think that inequity is inequity and inequity is wrong. Provided that whomever doesn't break the law and do harm, ANYONE should be allowed to run the scouts.

4. Taylor

Taylor Guest

As long as they receive federal money, they should not be allowed to discriminate.

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'm a boy scout, I'm straight, but I have no problem with gays in the scouts, as long as gays have hteir own tents. I know, just because they are attracted to guys doesn't mean they will rape a younger boy or anything, but think about it this way, would you want a young girl (which would be represented by a young scout) to share a tent with an older boy (represented by an older gay scout)?

However, the Boy Scouts is a private organization, and has a right to admit/not admit whoever they want. Though, the Boy scouts should not recieve federal funding due to their discriminatory status. On that same note, no discirminatory organizations (including those which do not permit hetero-sexuals, whites, and/or christians) should recieve federal funding.

6. Taylor

Taylor Guest

:werd:

7. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

I'm an athiestic Eagle Scout. I support gay rights.

That being said, I believe the Boy Scouts have the right to decide who they want in thier program.

8. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm there with you. If you were a leader, it would be seen as too much of a liability, because face it; in the Patrols in my old troop, we did have older scouts (17 or 18) sharing tents with newer ones (12 or 13 years old).

9. CoCo

...uhh, wow.... The implications of that statement just threw me against the wall, coming from you.

...what kinds of situations are you referring to? What situation would inherently strip all gay men of control and legal aptitude and force them to become so sexually charged by children that there cannot be anything done to stop their preying on these children... Please explain to me what types of situations occur in the scouts that, due to my sexuality, would stop me from joining as a scout to gain camaraderie, leadership skills, and support, or as an adult to give support.

10. CoCo

...sooo then the general idea is that queers have no control, especially when it comes to impressionable young boys?

11. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I've lost a lot of respect for the "scouts".

12. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

the idea is that teenagers with their intense sexual drive (you know what I'm reffering to, and not just gay guys) might not be able to control themselves. now, a gay ADULT leader (say, over 25) I wouldn't have a problem with, as the leaders aren't sleeping with the rest of the troop and a situation of molestation or rape would most likely NOT happen.

13. CoCo

...sorry, I did not mean to come off as snappish, but I get a lil heated when I'm soo used to having to defend how my sexuality does not superceded or change my moral code and character.

...so then your argument may not be an anti-queer one, but it is still an issue that will fuel anti-queer sentiment and practice (much the same way that anti-sodomy laws were meant to apply to everyone...but reality showed that is only applied to queers). I think back to High School (catholic, and private), and I remember having a female gym teacher for 2 years. I really never saw a problem with this, but some parents did and she was fired.

...ok, ok, ok. Sooo, then the gay male scouts should only be allowed to work for the girl scouts, and the lesbians should only be allowed to work for the boy scouts, we need to separate bathrooms into str8t/queer, and ensure that locker rooms are divided. Maybe a Sexuality Registration Act in which people are forced to come out under penalty of law, just to ensure that no one preys on our youth...because everyone is a sexual predator, abusing positions of power, trust, and authority.

dammit, I think I did it again. Not meant to be snappish, but just to facilitate healthy debate.

14. CoCo

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. CoCo

...uhh, ok..

16. CoCo

...be it to discriminate against queers or against men, one cannot punish a body of people before a crime is even thought of being committed solely on grounds that you 'know what [they] are like' or because you 'have had experiences of being very physically attracted to jailbait'. If that is the case, did you act on it? If so, then it is you who needs to not be allowed near the youth. And if not, why do you feel that no one else would be able to also be mature and conduct themselves as law-abiding citizens??

And as for the hypothetical situation with my own daughter, if the person--regardless of sex, sexuality, religion, skin color, etc--is deemed responsible enough to hold the position, I would respect that and allow that person to be a mentor.

BUT, you are entitled to your own beliefs. And if you don't think that this is a policy that sits well with you, there are other options. Either the scouts could give up any/all government support, OR you can pull your child out of the scouts (who should be an equal opportunity support/mentoring group anyway).

17. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Balddog, let me first say that I see your point. However, the issue of segregating between members of the same sex based on either stated or perceived sexual orientation is too sketchy an issue to be feasible. Limiting the restrooms, etc that can be used by different sexual orientations just causes way too many civil rights issues. It would piss off a bunch of people, make others nervous, certainly thwart a lot of the progress that has been made in the gay rights movement, and doubtless would cause other problems. It just would not be possible.

18. CoCo

Really, Balddog, I'm not mad. I understand where you are coming from, and provided that you don't take you personal opinions and biases and force feed them down the throats of others (a la Bush with the FMA), then we have no problem. EVERYONE has a set of fucked up views or biases; personally, as educated as I may be, I have some pretty ignorant views when it comes to other peoples. Taylor and the friends joke me about this all of the time, but ANYONE not of white or black American decent typically gets referred to as 'ethnic' by me...lol. And as Taylor is quick to point out, typically I qualify as ethnic by my terms! (I don't use the term in a judgmental way or anything, it is just quick and easy to say 'some kind of ethnic' when asked about someone cultural background.) That said, provided that you don't go advocating some Anti-Queer or Sexual Orientation Registration Act, we are still cool—be it, chilling out with different views!

19. CoCo

Thanks . But I will be the first to admit that as soon as I am given substantial and valid probable cause—be it a shared look, a flirtation swagger, or a lingering hug—I'd be all up on that, busting open a few cans of that good old fashioned whoop ass!! :hammer:

20. CoCo

..O, lol, I've been here long enough to note that!!! That is why, upon first reading/reacting, I argued from an anti-queer POV in shock! And, that is why I changed my tactic (somewhat)...hehe...:bigthumb: