LGBT Queer 'Economic Walkout' On Friday...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CoCo, Oct 12, 2004.

1. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Okay, so when I first stumbled on this article, I laughed at the pic. And then I imagined that the pic would be waaay funnier with a manicured drag queen's hand with a plethora of faux jewelry.

ANYWAY, on Friday, the Boycott for Equality is calling for gays and lesbians across the nation to drop out of the U.S. economy for the day by staying home from work, not shopping and not using cell phones. The boycott also asks people to withdraw $80 from their bank accounts and hold onto the money to symbolize the average daily contribution of gay and lesbian people to the economy.

[​IMG]

Gay, Lesbian 'Economic Walkout' Friday

ATLANTA (AP) -- A middle school music and choir teacher says he wasn't a gay rights activist until Georgia politics forced the issue.

Prompted by a proposed constitutional gay marriage ban on the state's November ballot, Dale Duncan is doing something to try to unify gays and lesbians. He has turned to a tactic used during the civil rights movement -- a work stoppage and economic boycott.

On Friday, the Boycott for Equality is calling for gays and lesbians across the nation to drop out of the U.S. economy for the day by staying home from work, not shopping and not using cell phones. The boycott also asks people to withdraw $80 from their bank accounts and hold onto the money to symbolize the average daily contribution of gay and lesbian people to the economy.

It's a grass-roots effort being spread by word of mouth and e-mails. A Web site set up to outline the boycott had 1.6 million hits as of Tuesday, Duncan said.

"This is the first time we've ever done anything like this," Duncan said. "If we are not successful at this, maybe someone will take over the idea."

Amy Doll in St. Louis learned about the boycott while surfing the Internet. The owner of LoanScapes Home Loans, Doll and her staff decided to close Friday and have a small picnic in a downtown park to protest Missouri voters' overwhelming approval of a gay marriage ban earlier this year.

Doll's plan has grown dramatically. She said 50 St. Louis businesses have signed on and anywhere from 2,500 to 5,000 people are expected to attend the event in the park -- complete with speeches, music and dancing. Interest has been bolstered by the second debate between President Bush and John Kerry, which will be held that night a few miles from the park at Washington University.

"We did it because in Missouri they changed the constitution and it was so demoralizing and painful. We decided we needed to bring the community together," Doll said. "I saw the boycott on a Web site somewhere and I thought 'You know, I really want to do this.' I wanted to do something. I couldn't stop feeling bad. It felt like everyone hated gay and lesbian people in Missouri."

Georgia is one of 11 states that also will consider constitutional gay marriage bans on Nov. 2. Georgia's measure also would bar the state from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states and not allow state judges to resolve property settlement issues arising from same-sex relationships.

Traders Neighborhood Store in East Atlanta will be closed Friday, and a sign out in front will read "The Christian Coalition and the Republicans want us to disappear back into the closet, imagine East Atlanta without Traders," said co-owner Michael Knight.

Knight and his partner, Shawn Ergle, who have been together for 12 years, say they are living the American dream with a successful furniture business, a home and two dogs. But, Knight said, they are being denied the same rights as other Americans and decided to observe the boycott in protest.

Grant Lukenbill, San Francisco-based author of "Untold Millions: Secret Truths About Marketing to Gay and Lesbian Consumers," said boycotts by the gay and lesbian community are generally successful and believes Friday's action will raise awareness about the upcoming election.

In St. Louis, Doll said she doesn't understand why the gay marriage ban is gaining such momentum when there are other political issues that demand attention, adding that she has two nephews and a niece in Iraq. "I feel silly we're worried about gay marriage when I'm worried about their safety. There's so much more that's important, our resources shouldn't be going to a federal amendment to the Constitution," she said.

Source => http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=2392015&nav=5D7lRfbP

2. Taylor

Taylor Guest

I'm going to work on Friday. I need the money :o

3. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

I have to go to work on Friday. I'll be the only one there in my group. All the str8 people took the day off. :hs: