GUN Quality Upper

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NetChemica, Feb 26, 2010.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I'm in tech school right now and my internet connection is horrid. Otherwise I'd do the research myself.

I'm looking to replace my bushmaster upper with something of more quality (and not made of plastic :hs: ). I was looking at Spikes Tactical 16" M4 upper (Here).

Any companies I should shy away from? Is there any piston driven upper that you guys think is better? I'm looking to stick to the 16" barrel length and a piston style system. This would mostly be home defense / paper punisher.

It's going on a rock river lower fwiw.

2. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

you got one of those carbon uppers? :confused:

4. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I have/had a carbon 15. The lower receiver cracked and the upper looks like ass on a metal lower.

5. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I'm debating on it. Bushmaster said they won't warranty or fix it. I was debating on getting another carbon lower along with a .22lr bcg. That way I would have a light plinker that I can shoot almost anywhere (instead of waiting for the outdoor ranges to open for the season).

6. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

How did it crack?I had one for a couple good years now and I beat the shit out of it.Even dropped it off a second story balcony.

7. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I got it 2 years ago from a coworker (before I enlisted). It was my first rifle, and the guy made it sound like it was the best thing that you can buy.

This was before I knew any better, but I figured a chrome lined and free floating barrel along with an adjustable buffer and a red dot was a good deal for $500. This was also during the time when all rifles sky rocketed in price because obama came into office.

He showed me how to break it down and how to adjust the buffer (basically screw the buffer tube in and out to get the desired setting)

Well, I took it to a range once they opened up (has to be outdoor), started shooting off rounds. First few failed to extract so I thought the buffer was screwed in too tight, so I loosened it since the buffer was all the way in. I did this two turns at a time until it was almost unscrewed completely. Each time I could barely get through 3 or 4 rounds without an fte.

Well, I put it in the middle and started shooting again and working with the problem. I put the gun down to reload the magazines and noticed a split on the 12' oclock position on the ring where the buffer screws into.

The bolt carrier ended up bottoming out on the buffer tube and expanding it. It fucked up the threads and pushed apart the mounting ring.

I don't know if I have a different lower or what, but my bolt carrier is shorter than anyones I've ever seen. The buffer and buffer spring recede all the way into the upper receiver, also. I have to remove the buffer tube, pull out the spring and buffer, then take the upper receiver off. There is no hole for a retention pin in the receiver. The BCM bcg I bought a while back fits just fine into my rock river lower and carbon15 upper, I just don't like the way plastic looks on metal.

Since then, I've been reading tons and tons about how the AR15 works. I even borrowed some M16 technical manuals from my unit and read through those (since the only significant difference is the trigger mechanism)

8. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

9. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

10. fire

fire New Member

You better hurry if you want a Cav Arms lower.

And I vote BCM too for a good quality upper. Although I think the CMMG is a good rifle. Their bargain bin is hard to beat too.

11. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

Does BCM make a piston upper yet? I browsed through their catalog and couldn't find a 16" piston upper.

12. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

Easier to clean. It's not a deal breaker, just figured I'd get one if I found a good deal.

13. nox

nox I'm actually ok looking... so chill.

A castle nestled in a valley next to a waterfall
    stag makes a piston upper now. I believe its the model 8.

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

DIs really aren't that dirty unless you're using a suppressor. All they need is lube and good ammo to run. Also, like stated previously, they aren't hard to clean either. In fact, I just got done cleaning mine tonight, after shooting a couple of mags with a suppressor, it was about as dirty as shooting 500 rounds unsupressed and it took all of 5 minutes to wipe down and re-lube.