Quad-SLI and Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I've read that you can't have dual monitors set up when you have to graphics cards set up in SLI mode. But what about quad SLI? The only reason I ask is that in Maximum PC's Dream Machine 06, they feature a quad-SLI system with two monitors. Here's a link for the article.

http://www.slizone.com/docs/IO/34515/MaxPC_Sept_DM.pdf

I don't want to have all that great stuff under the hood without having dual monitors. Especially with Supreme Commander coming out and supporting dual monitors.

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I don't understand the question. Are you questioning the merit of mpc's setup?

3. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

No I'm questioning whether you can have dual monitors set up with quad-SLI. From everything I've read, SLI won't work with dual monitors. I'm hoping that's not true but unfortunately looks like it is.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Ah.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=217&p_created=1106679021&p_sid=DszRQ6hi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OTgmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9c2xpIHR3byBtb25pdG9ycw**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    How many video outputs does SLI technology support?

Question
    How many video outputs does SLI technology support?

Answer
    When a system with two GPUs installed is operating in non-SLI technology mode, the system supports up to four video outputs. When a system is operating in SLI technology mode, only one monitor is supported.

5. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

SLi can only operate in binary (two card) mode. You can't chain four cards. They simply aren't designed for it (serial communication between the cards IIRC).

It would be like trying to have two SATA drives on a single cable. Simply can't be done safely. You'd have to use either a twisted cable (like the old IDE cables) or a SCSI (or scsi-like) identification system.

4 cards with 2x2 SLi would do two displays.

6. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Well looks like I won't be upgrading my computer till Nvidia comes up with a solution for this. Hopefully it will come up soon. And now I'm wondering what Maximum PC was thinking about when they did their Dream Machine 06 and showed 2 monitors. Hmmm....

I had meant using two of their cards with dual GPU's on them.

7. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

do they even have dual-gpu highend cards? I thought the heat would prevent that...

8. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Just read over the PDF. The dual-gpu cards aren't the high-end GPUS so they don't have as much demand for high-end cooling on the card.

They are probably just switching off SLi for the dual-monitor setup until they decide to play. You can turn it on and off without having to reboot.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The Quad SLI boards are special built for the job. They are actually two separate PCB's combined onto one "card" with a special chip to split/merge data from/to the pci-express bus. From above they look like four cards. The SLI links are a little funky. It uses two external SLI bridges (like you see in regular SLI), one links boards 1 & 3, the other boards 2 & 4. There is also a set of SLI links between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. These are connected with a funky little PCB connector that spans across the cards. There is also a pci-express bridge between them.

Also, the dual-GPU board are not capable of Quad SLI. It requires a card specially designed for Qual-SLI.

No idea about the dual monitor support. It's possible that the setup might (again, I don't know) support it outside of games (windows desktop) but it was really designed to allow gamers to run big LCD's at their full resolution at high quality so I highly doubt that it would support it while gaming.

10. qtfsniper

qtfsniper New Member

buy a matrox triplehead2go addon or dualhead. That way, you can run 3 monitors, or two, with an SLI setup and one cable. The addon box makes the videocard think there is one big monitor. It's an addon box. perfect if you have SLI. it's almost a MUST have to get that full power. Links included, along with pictures
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/th2go/home.cfm
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/dh2go/home.cfm