quad or dirtbike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dontothejuan, Feb 20, 2005.

1. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

im gonna buy one or the other. probly a KTM SX 125/yz125 or a predator/banshee ive got a streebike and all my friends have dirtbikes so i think four wheels would be cool but i dont know help me out thanks dan

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Guest

Get the dirtbike (KTM) :)

It's cheaper when you crash... I've crashed mine hard a couple of times being a beginner and I haven't broken anything yet :hsd:

3. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

quad. more fun; easier ride; can take a hot chick with you

4. Offroadin

Offroadin She begged me to give her a cleveland steamer

dirtbike

Get the 125 SX, they are amazing bikes
    You should also look into the new SXF 250's, I hear they are BADASS :eek3:
    (yes, I understand this isnt stock)

[​IMG]

5. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Get the bike! Much easier to go fast on. The 125SX is awesome (I have an 03) and makes way more power than the jap 125's. It's a little more finicky to get the suspension set up right, but they work.

250SX-F won't be available to mere mortals until next year. BTW the 06 125SX's that have been tested are making 39-40HP :o

6. Cyrus.

Cyrus. Swollen Member

If you want to ride with your friends, buy the bike. We used to practice on the track at the same time as the quad guys on sunday afternoons..... Quads are super slow compared to bikes, they get less air, land harder, etc... Throw a good dirt bike into a nice sand berm, really lay it down and see how fast it is compared to a quad..
    That is just my opinion though, quads have thier advantages.

7. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

i have a streetbike for the ladies

8. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

a polaris predator will be way faster than a 2 stroke dirtbike, so will a banshee. its true they wont jump as well but i dont think i will be jumping much more like running from the cops, they hate dirtbikes/quads in massachusetts

9. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

i found a brand new 04 sx125 for 3700 and im real tempted....

10. Cyrus.

Cyrus. Swollen Member

They dont like off road vehicles up here either.
    If you are looking for maneuverability, buy a bike. Quads are fun, but slow.. Not just in top speed, but cornering, stopping, acceleration, etc. If you want to take your girlfriend buy a quad. Im planning on having the best ofboth worlds this year, CR450f, (for me) and a used 400ex for the girlfriend to drive, or for us to ride together.

11. Clingman

I'm gonna have to tell that to the two guys on Banshees that rode with me last weekend. Maybe they were just giving up too easily :wavey:

12. bush0102

bush0102 Guest

predators arent really that quick.

given the choices, i'd pick the bike. If you want a real quad to have fun with, wait till the summer and pick either the YFZ450, 450R, or the LTZ-450, which isnt out yet, but is probably going to outdo the other two. Also, KTM has an employment ad for an ATV chassis designer, so they should have a quad out pretty soon, too- probably a 520.

13. Cyrus.

Cyrus. Swollen Member

Exactly what I was going to say, but decided to be polite.
    I also had a friend with a 250r that thought it would take my bike last year, (2003 KX250) until I went by him on the back tire.
    Just look at the displacement vs. weight.

What do you have for a bike?

14. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

kawasaki zx6

15. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I dont think I could stand riding a 125 on trails. If you're going to be riding trails get a 250f. And if you can get plates in Mass get a WR250f and plate it. Then the cops cant bother you as much.

16. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

If your already riding a street bike, get the dirt bike. Especially if your friends have dirtbikes. Your not going to be able to follow them on a lot of trails.

And if you go with a quad, dont get a banshee or a predator. The new 450's tear both of those up, I have one. But since I got my streetbike, Im wanting a crf250 or 450 instead of my quad now.

17. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

thats what i wanted to hear thanks

18. Clingman

19. TurboV6

TurboV6 New Member

Another vote for dirt bike. I've had a bunch of bikes and just prefer them more, feel lighter, easier to toss around, cheaper to mod, etc. My brother had a banshee which was fast but like many other have said, the quad just feels kinda heavy, the suspension prob isn't as great. It's all going to boil down to preference though, ride both and see what you think.

20. Cyrus.

Cyrus. Swollen Member

Ive bought my bike for this year.
    CRF450R... Id like to see a quad that would keep up to me.

21. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:ugh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i swear polaris ownsers have to be the dumbest people alive

22. bush0102

bush0102 Guest

don't forget people who ride DS650s and think they are the best quad made... I swear, people who ride Predators and DS650s have no concept of quads outside of those shitty brands.

If you already ride a street bike and your friends ride bikes, i think a 250 or 450 four stroke bike is a good fit for you

23. denroll

denroll Guest

The DRZ400 is a great all-rounder as long as you aren't doing some serious MX racing as all of the road-going stuff makes it a little heavy. It has the magic button, comes with a license plate ("S" model), ultra reliable, has tons of mods, and has one of the best online communities that I've ever seen.

My cylinder is getting bored out to a 450 as we speak.

24. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Actually the DRZ with the right suspension work can be made to do full MX work pretty well. I wouldn't want to toss an 'S' model around, but the kicker model isnt too heavy.

25. Ronin

Ronin Guest

KTMS are pretty good bikes, they normally score lower in some of the reviews i've seen (on second note nvm, I was thinking of 4-strokes) I hear good things about the 125, I own a 2000 KTM 300, a bike will out run most stock quads (not sure how fast some of the quads are cuz i hardly ever ride them, like banshess, raptors, etc), my bike is pretty quick, faster than my friends quads. (my neighbor has a stroker 406ex (was a 300 stock), he sucks at riding though, another friend has a suzuki 400)

Quads are pretty fun to ride, and I think theyre easier to also, I also have less fear of being agressive on quads due to the fact theyre not easy to crash.

As for the guys talking 450s, I hear the new Honda is pretty good.