Quad Core q6600 question about gap between cpu and heatsink

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Boomdart, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

When I installed my q6600 months and months ago there was something peculiar that I simply accepted, but I'm not pleased with the temps my computer is running so I'm going to question it.

When you install the q6600 to the socket, you have to put the metal thing over it to keep it in place. The metal thing has a square hole in the middle to show the cpu core. However, the cpu core doesn't rize to the level of the metal cover, so when the heatsink is on the metal cover it doesn't even come close to touching the CPU core.

I applied thermal paste to it, but the paste isn't even thick enough to reach the heatsink after its been spread on. So I folded a piece of alluminum foil (not thick enough, I should've made a thicker one) to close the gap more, that seemed to help my temps a little.

What's with this gap? Is there something I'm missing, a thermal pad or something? Or should I just buy some more paste (if I buy it I'll get arctic silver) and glop it on thick?

without the sides of the case off
    Idle Temp - 42-45
    Load temp - 55-62

with the sides of the case on
    idle temp - 45-46
    load temp 58-67

no overclocking

This is a kentsfield G0 revision with B stepping

I just downloaded CoreTemp 9.9.5 and its temps are 10* hotter than Asus Probe shows, which should I believe? Asus Probe came with the motherboard, and I haven't updated it from whatever the cd version is.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

intel stock cooler?
    if so, make sure those push pins are pushed all the way
    temps, though on the high side, looks normal to me
    i'd be worried if its in the 80-90's

3. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Yeah it's a stock cooler I guess, came with it but I don't think it's the intel brand fan.

Also, the fan fucked up so I tore up an old power supply took out the fan and glued it in place of the broken fan, and spliced the red & black to it, but the other wire is sort of not doing anything now. So it's kinda a mix now :o

Temps are 10 degrees hotter using Core Temp to monitor the temperatures instead of Asus Probe.

4. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I'm ultimately trying to decide if I really need to buy a new fan or not, if I do I'll get one, no problem, just want to know if it's necessary.

I'm not an overclocker, I'd rather just buy faster stuff if my computer isn't capable of handling what I throw at it.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It sounds like either the armor on top of the CPU is too thin, or the retainer is too thick, or the heatsink is missing a piece of metal that should extend down to touch the CPU.

In any event, short of replacing parts one by one until you find the defective one, that aluminum-foil trick is just about the best hack you could've come up with; aluminum has a higher heat-conduction-to-mass ratio than pretty much everything.

To make it work better, cut another piece of foil and spread a thin coating of heatsink goop on one side, then fold it up until it's the right size and thickness; the goop will fill in the imperfections in the foil and form a nearly solid block of conductor to connect the CPU to the heatsink.

6. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

There isn't a piece of metal that extends down to the cpu on my heatsink, I've seen it on some heatsinks and was wondering why mine didn't have that.

I'm glad you agree with my aluminum foil method, I know a thing or two about metals (because of the business I'm in) and figured it'd be best.

I think I'll take your suggestion to fill & fold the tinfoil with compound and see how that works out for me. I'll have to go buy some more compound first though, it's currently using the white paste the cpu came with because I can't find my tube of arctic silver I know I used to have :hs:

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't know enough about metallurgy to know whether silver and aluminum will get along well; you might want to consider using Arctic Ceramica instead.

8. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Never heard of it, I'll look into it, thanks :)

Oh, and what would you say about my temps being different between Asus Probe and Coretemp 0.99.5?

with the case fan off Coretemp shows a high of 73* [case off] (after roaming around in Fable 1 for a while, it heats up my computer more than the other games I have)

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

this is the q6600's stock cooler
    [​IMG]

same shit?
    it sucks anyway, so replace it

Asus Probe = CPU surface temps
    Coretemp (or Realtemp) = actual core temps

10. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Ah, I get it.

As far the fan this is what i'm using, whatever it is...

[​IMG]

It's a masscool heatsink/fan, but like I said earlier, I replaced the actual fan with one from an old power supply because it stopped working. Works pretty well. And Those fans are cleaner than they look, I pretty recently cleaned it out.

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

12. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Coretemp is not going to do any good if even one sensor is off on that chip. Report what your BIOS temps are.

The temps you posted originally look fine under any OEM heatsink.

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Coretemp gets its data from Intel's DTS, it is as accurate as it gets
    if it's off, its a damage chip

coretemp = tjunction
    asus probe = tcase

both are valid, measuring different areas
    tjunction (cores) is always higher/hotter than tcase (chip surface area)

14. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Alright, I'll pop down to gainesville probably sometime next week and pick one up, I gotta buy a new controller anyway (mine is starting to become real shitty, and I gotta have a pc controller for emulators).

No good local computer shops, have to go to at least gainesville :squint:

Don't really like ordering stuff on the web, rather buy it in person, but I will if I have to. My current computer came mostly from newegg, got the monitor at radio shack and got totally screwed on the price, but I didn't want to order a 22" lcd and it be broken when it got here :/

I read on a forum that it's pretty standard for the surface temp to be approximately 10* lower than the core temps, and that's what mine seem to be, albeit a bit high, at least that's a benchmark I can judge mine on, if my surface temps were say, no cooler at all than the core temps I'd believe I'd have a huge problem :o

15. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

My bios temps are just under the coretemp's temps. I think bios runs at 80% load so that makes sense.

16. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i just don't see the aluminum foil is necessary
    a good heatsink with a strong/large/or high speed fan will bring those temps down

btw,.. ideally, the load plate (the metal thing with the square hole in the middle) should be level with the cpu. there shouldn't be any gap.
    but these load plates aren't always perfect from the motherboard manufacturer.

if there is a gap, the pressure of the installed heatsink should help level it out.
    if is still not level, the load plate is too bent or warped and you should have RMA'd the board.
    too late for that now though
    imo, you could try straightening it out if you have the proper tools than using the foil method. :dunno:

17. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

nah, scratch that.
    the foil method is probably a hell lot easier than fixing the load plate :o

18. rawko

rawko OT Supporter

As long as it doesnt lock up, any temperature is okay. cpus are hot. If it locks up then the temp is too high.