Q's about MSF Test

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Figori, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

Okay. After over a year of being on a waiting list, I am finally signed up to take the MSF course on base here in Montgomery (Military, Free, FTW) And I just have a few questions. I have very limited riding experience (rode up and down the street a few times), and I'm just curious as to what I can expect at the course. I understand that I should go in as if I did not know anything, but what things should I pay extra attention to? What are some key pointers to passing the course with flying colors? I will be purchasing a Yamaha FZ6 a month or so afterwards. I understand the importance of gear, and allready have a few things in mind. Joe Rocket jacket, a helmet with a flip-up chin, and some Oakley gloves. Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. ;)

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

When I went for my MSF course, I've never ridden a bike before. Quads and snowmobiles yes, but anything with 2 wheels and an engine, no.

The riding portion of my class started off real slow. Before we even turned the bikes on, we walked them across the parking lot, turned them around, walked them back, just so we can get the basics of the balance of the bike before we put any power to the ground.

We covered everything from shifting, to turning, to weaving, to emergency stops, to running over objects, to quick lane changes, to figure 8's and double u-turns in a box, to quick lefts and rights...

what should you pay attention to? everything. nothing more than another cause you'll use everything you learned in the class. Don't worry if you mess up, or go over a line, or drop the bike. you'll want to do all that there and have someone tell you what you did wrong then do all those things wrong on your own and not know what you did. they are there to help you, so go in with an open mind and a willingness to learn. these guys know their stuff.

besides what you mentioned, I'd get boots and riding pants.

3. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I was in the exact same position as you, I had very limited experience on a bike. The class was very helpful, in all aspects. The major thing that still sticks in my head is "look where you want the bike to go" I caught on quick listened to what the instructors where teaching/telling me and aced the test. Pay attention, be smart and you should be fine.

I took the course 2 months ago, and bought a FZ6 the day after I passed the class. I love the bike, perfect for what I need.

4. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

Are you in Montgomery AL?

5. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

flip up chin helmets are not the best...might want to go with the full face

6. philcasi

philcasi OT Supporter

my wife had no prior knowledge about a motorcycle and she passed with flying colors.

7. Figori

Yep. Taking the course at Maxwell AFB.

*ninja edit*

I want something that can easily expose my face. The gate guards are funny like that sometimes. And as much as I've worn helmets (read: just a few times), I liked the way the flip-up helmets fit. Might just be a personal preference.

8. 3x

3x New Member

Id think that during a hard crash if you hit it right that flip up would just come right off exposing the whole front of your face :hsughno:

9. Frequency

Frequency New Member

If you hit it at the right angle during a crash your neck be snapped

10. 7960

7960 New Member

my wife took MSF with me. she'd never even touched a motorcycle before that day and they had her riding around the parking lot within 20 minutes. it was very impressive.

anyway, pay attention to the stuff the instructors say that's NOT in the book. how to shift your weight, exactly where to look when turning, their experiences when riding. I learned more from their talking than I did from the book they gave me.

you don't think it's tested for that?

11. 3x

3x New Member

There is really no way to test for every possible real life situation. If it can happen, it will. Though I suppose it cant be any worse than a half helmet

12. Figori

True story. My dad was riding up Salt River Canyon back in '88 with a group of buddies. They all decided to race up the canyon, while my dad took it easy. Had a drunk (we think) driver come around a corner in his lane, forcing him to take the gravel. Bike flipped 4 times, he flipped 3. Because he was wearing a full-face helmet, he broke his collar bone in 3 places. But if he had been wearing a half-helmet, I probably wouldn't have the same dad I do today.

The point is, you take a risk, no matter what style helmet you wear.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

wtf does this even mean?

if you're in a crash bad enough to rip the mask off a flip-up then you're fucked anyway.

14. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

The guys who taught me class were cool as hell. They are very patient and want you to succeed. You get breaks and learn on 250's. I can tell you this though, I can def see where a lot of people who don't take a MSF course get into trouble. There are so many things you learn that you would prob never realize until it was too late. When I ride, I still here my instructors voice in my head. Gear up and be safe, oh and have fun :wiggle:

15. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

If you can drive a stick shift, learning to ride a motorcycle is 100times easier IMO

16. 7960

7960 New Member

Mine too. "Outside/inside/outside. Scan ahead. Assume the driver in that car doesn't see you. You are invisible."

17. 7960

7960 New Member

yep.

if someone's NEVER ridden a motorcycle/atv/quad I'd teach them how to drive a stick in a car before they got on a bike.

18. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

weird, at my base they let you right through with a full face

19. Figori

During certain exercises. They have asked my NCOIC on numeroud occasions to pull back his face mask (Victory Vegas 8-ball, half helmet). But I guess it's just a comfort thing.

20. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

meh, it took me a bit more time than most to learn the clutch but did fine after that

21. 7960

7960 New Member

it's easier to learn one thing at a time. if you don't know how to shift a standard then learn before going to the class.

same as if you'd never ridden a bicycle before, I'd suggest learning before going to the class. trying to learn a few things at the same time just makes learning any one thing that much harder.

22. Figori

Don't mind the Si in my AV.. It's my daily driver. ;) Driving standard is no issue with me. I just know that the few times I did have to start out on the bike, I had issues, but it was because the clutch lever wasn't adjusted properly. Oh well.

23. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

You should pay attention to everything-more so during the second and third day when you're out on the range. Pay close attention to the slow maneuvers. That's where a lot of bikers have trouble. Any monkey can go in a straight line and do wide turns.

But most importantly, just remember that when you've graduated the class that you're still learning. There's no replacement for seat time when the MSF is done. Ride as often as you can and use the methods they teach.

24. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

I need to get on that free MSF course, I'm a reservist out of maxwell

25. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

:werd:
    i'm waiting in Columbus