Q6600 Temperature

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jimmy10to2, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

I have a Q6600 and it seems to be running hot. It's stock, no overclocking. With the OEM heatsink I was getting idle temps around 55C/131F, so I replaced it. So I replaced it with a Scythe Ninja Heatsink with a 120mm fan and a backplate to help secure it onto the motherboard. My temperatures improved and I was sitting at 46C/115F idle (system: 35C/95F).

Still not too happy with these temperatures, I organized my cables for better airflow, and removed the heatsink, cleared off the old thermal paste and applied some Arctic Silver 5 High-Density thermal paste. This stuff is thick, it almost has a wet concrete texture. So I applied a thin even layer of the stuff on top of my cpu using my finger covered in a plastic bag. Previously I've just applied a dab of the stuff and then let the pressure from the heatsink distribute the paste over the cpu. So now my computer is back up and running, and I was expecting some great new temperatures... wrong. I'm still getting the exact same temperatures in SpeedFan (cpu: 46C/115F, system:35C/95F, ambient:31C/88F). In the past, I thought maybe SpeedFan was getting false readings, but the bios shows similar temps.

Here is the current insides of my case:
    [​IMG]
    My airflow could maybe use improvement as I have warm inside air being blown accross the CPU Heatsink. The front intake is a weak 120mm fan that came with the case (not sure how many RPMs). I'm also planning on installing a small fan 80mm fan on the case's side panel to blow air directly onto the CPU.

Any ideas on what I should do next? What's the best way to apply thermal paste? Is airflow the main culprit? All suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

those temps are pretty good.

how low do you plan to go? your airflow looks okay, applying paste in the perfect conditions won't lower your temps that much more.

i feel the only step that may make a difference is lapping.

but you're temps are good. about the same as mine.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

try a different program like coretemp. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I'm sitting at 66°c right now, but that's overclocked to 3.2ghz and I'm sitting at 100% because it's rendering a video.

4. jdw

jdw New Member

seems hot to me...

My CPU is sitting at 26-27C right now basically at idle. System is at 31 or 36 depending what program. 4 cores per both speedfan and coretemp are between 37 and 45 (moving around quite a bit).

I WAS - when I was completely OEM - running around 36C on the CPU temps. Still with the OEM heatsink but cranked up to around 1600RPM and I'm at the temps I'm at now.

Besides the OEM CPU heatsink, I've got a 120mm case blowing into the CPU fan and a 120mm rear exhaust.

5. mattATX

mattATX OT Supporter

How hot is the case temp? How hot is your house?

6. justinruns

justinruns New Member

If you want a couple C cooler go with a better thermal paste. Arctic Silver Rocks.