SRS Q. for people on anti-depressants

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Falconer, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Was it a specific event that set you into needing anti-depressants, or was it just a general lifestyle course.

In other words, were you just kind of depressed overall so your doctor decided to put you on an anti-depressant, or was it like you were relatively fine and then something happened (bad breakup, loss of a loved one, etc.) that suddenly made you depressed?

Just curious. Thanks.

2. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

general stuff

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I had a dream that I was reading this thread and there were 2 or 3 replies... but I log on this morning and there's only 1. Hehe crazy dream.

Thanks for replying.

4. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

A series of specific events that put me into a depressed slump.

5. sp0rk in the ear

sp0rk in the ear New Member

general lifestyle course.

6. JemmaX

JemmaX New Member

I took Prozac for about eight months a few years ago. I was depressed and my relationship sucked. My (then) husband was having an affair (but I didnt know it at the time) and basically playing mind games with me, somehow I felt like I was messing things up not him. I talked to the person in my HR at work that refers people to counseling and such, he referred me to to a therapist and told me to go to the doctor which i did. i got on prozac, got a couple of different things to help me sleep at night. about a week after I started the prozac I found proof that my husband was cheating (i had suspected for a while, had no proof, and he was denying). I was so glad I had started the prozac. I really truly believe that taking this medication during such a traumatic time in my life (break up of a 13 year marriage, divorce, custody, etc) helped me get through it. Once I felt like things were calmed down enough, I took myself off it. One of the scariest things I have done but I felt I needed to prove to myself I could do without. Im not saying that everyone can do without medication for depression, but I feel like my depression was situational rather than lifelong or personal based.

Does that help?

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yes.

So coming off of it was scary? Why?

8. JemmaX

JemmaX New Member

cause it was my first time taking antidepressants. I was worried that maybe I would need them for the rest of my life. I didnt want to be back in the same funk I was. I honestly could not function for a while. Once I was off them for a month and I wasnt having anything more than normal highs and lows I was relieved.

whats your story then?

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm just wondering. When I was a kid I used to be happy all the time. Now I'm incredibly cynical and people tell me I don't smile very much. I mean, I do, but it's cuz I'm laughing at something funny or whatever, and not just because I'm "happy."

Every once in a while I'll wake up one morning and I'll just feel good. It's like my brain decided to produce extra seratonin that day. It happens without cause and without regard to what is actually going on in my life. On these days I'm on top of the world, even if I'm under a ton of stress at work, or have relationship problems, or whatever, this "good feeling" overrides all of that and I love it. This happens 2 or maybe 3 times a year. I follow basically the same schedule every day so I don't think it's related to anything I'm doing or my sleep cycle or anything.

Anyway, I wonder if this is how "normal" people feel all the time? I just kind of exist in a state of melancholy. Sure, I have ups and downs, but if I could feel how I do on those "good days" I would rule the world. It's like my motivation is multiplied by 100, my brain is functioning perfectly, I could out argue anyone, the glass is half full, etc. It's weird.

Also, I recently came out of a relationship that kind of fucked me up. Logically I understand everything that happened, and I know that it was right to end it, but you know the chemical addiction for the other person that happens in your brain when you're "in love?" Well I fell so hard for this chick and I still don't think I've recovered. I hate it. Occasionally I wonder if, since love and heartache and all that stuff is controlled by chemicals in the brain (seraonin, vasopressin, dopamine, etc.) if I could get some "chemical assistance" in recovering from it. I mean, drug addicts get chemical assistance when they quit and go through withdrawl, and "love" has the same effect on the brain as an addiction to a hard drug, so why not? But then I think that's probably a bad idea. But then I think that I've always kinda been a bit "melancholy" for the last 7 or 8 years, anyway (I'm 26 now). I don't know. I'm not like suicidal depressed, I'm just like... going through the motions every day and I'd like to be a little happier.

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Oh, I asked about coming off of it because I've read horror stories of benzodiazepine withdrawl and I don't even want to mess with that. I know not all depression drugs are benzos, but still. I've taken the occasional lorazepam (a benzo) and I absolutely see why people have problems with that drug. Oh, I sometimes take one before I have to fly because I don't like flying. It wasn't like recreational or anything.

It's funny that everything is controlled by chemicals in your brain. Every single feeling you have is a result of a chemical and a receptor somewhere in your brain. Your SO with whom you're mad crazy in love? It's chemicals in your brain. A random rock on the side of the road that you don't give a shit about? Chemicals in your brain. Think if you could manipulate this... you could "turn off" your "love" for your SO and suddenly you would no longer care what happens to them. Some of you are probably reading this and thinking "yeah right, I love my SO so much, with all my heart... I can feel it!" Well, that's because of various chemical processes in your brain that a) cause your SO to always be on your mind (craving), b) cause good feelings when you think about them, c) cause painful feelings when you're not with them (withdrawl), d) cause bliss when you're with them (getting your fix). It is theoretically possible to "turn this off" by manipulating the correct chemicals in your brain. Imagine if a pill were designed to help you get over a broken heart? Remember, the only reason a broken heart exists is because you're no longer getting your fix and you know you're not going to anymore (ever tell a tweaker they can't use meth anymore? What happens?). There's a little additional pain of knowing that a long term partner is no longer with you (caused by vasopressin, the chemical responsible for forming monogomous bonds with a mate*), but the majority of it is because your brain is no longer getting the "pleasure" chemicals it craves.

I don't mean to take the romance out of it, but that's basically how it works.

*If you want more info about this, do a google search for "vasopressin voles." They've done studies with two types of voles (a little mouse animal). One type of vole forms life bonds with its mate. Another doesn't. When they took the one that does and gave it a chemical to block the vasopressin in its brain, it no longer formed life bonds with its mates. Crazy, huh.

edit - this post should be its own topic. I hijacked my own thread again. :big grin:

edit 2 - The reason I'm concerned about this is because when I get upset or depressed I lose my appetite. This is bad because I'm an ectomorph and I have to eat a lot just to maintain my weight. Some of you have seem my pics in the Vag. So when I lose my appetite, I lose weight/muscle very quickly.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  11. JemmaX

JemmaX New Member

okay, two things here:

First, from what I understand, someone who is not truly clinically depressed can take a medication for depression (prozac, celexa, zoloft, etc) and it will really have no effect on them. If you are just kind of middle ground blah, not really happy but not so down you cant get shit done, then you could take one of these medications for a few weeks with little to no changes. Im not suggesting that you do that, but this is the result of someone taking an antidepressant when they are truly not clinically depressed.

Second, coming off antidepressants, well mainly the class that is the seratonin reuptake inhibitors will not be harsh on your body. most of the newer medications are designed like this, but the ones that just effect your seratonin levels wont mess with you in other ways. I knew this before taking prozac (i deal with psychotropic meds a lot in my job) which is partly why I felt comfortable going that route for myself. I do not go around recommending medication as an ultimate solution for most people.

Okay actually another point. Have you tried therapy? I believe the combination of therapy and medication can be very successful, and therapy alone can be the jumpstart that some people need so they never have to go down the medication road. I am a believer in GOOD therapy, I stress that word because sometimes its a challenge to find a good match for you. Go see someone and if in a few sessions you dont feel its working out, ask for someone else. Just like you dont gel with everyone in your life, you arent going to gel with any ol therapist or counselor.

Another side point on this, I have been a person like you are describing. my days were blah, nothing was too exciting, I always felt like I was more unhappy than happy but i wouldnt have called myself depressed. I used to think people like Deepak Chopra and Tony Robinson were totally cheesy, but now I believe in the power of thoughts. the power of feeding your mind with positive things. The law of attraction, I could write a shitload on that but I wont. You are what you believe you are. You are what you put out there for the world to see. If you wake up and think, i feel kind of blah today, then yeah, you are going to have a blah day. you have put that out into the world thats whats going to come back to you. Its hard to change the way you think and Im not saying Im even good at it. But what if you woke up and said, Im going to have a great day. Things are going to go well today for me. You have put that out there and based on the law of attraction the thing you think about will come to you.

I still have shitty days for sure. And in no way am I saying that someone who has clinical depression can control it solely based on their thought patterns. I know people who would actually say that and believe it but im not there yet. Wow, so that was a lot of rambling and Im not sure if any of it helped but there you go.

EDIT: BAH! I wrote out another long response to the discussion about the chemical addiction of love, but my network is running really shitty today, so its gone :( maybe later, but I guess this is a sign I should get some work done...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  12. SlvrCivLT621

SlvrCivLT621 New Member

when i was 9 my parents noticed i was isolating myself and didn't want to do anything with anyone, i would just sit there and when my friends would beg me to come play i would say no and just sit alone...my parents took me to the doctor and i was diagnosed with moderately severe depression...no event caused it, it's a chemical imbalance in my brain...we finally found out it's genetic...my great aunt was depressed among other things just like me and she was even put into a mental institution for awhile, so mine is genetic

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm into the self-help/law of attraction/new-agey things a bit.

As for losing your post, sometimes when I click "post reply" it asks me to sign in again. I'm like "wtf, I was obviously signed in already or I wouldn't be able to write a reply in the first place." Anyway, I sign in again, it says "invalid thread specified," and then I click "back" and reload the page and most of the time my reply I just typed is actually there! It's weird.

14. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

No depression drugs are benzos, benzos are for anxiety and insomnia. Depression drugs are SSRIs and those are a bitch to come off of also for a lot of people.

Just smoke more pot :p You'll feel happier and hungrier. Don't rely on it to feel happy all the time but it can help if this isn't an everyday occurance. I'm sure any side effects you may have from pot use would be much better than ones you'd have from SSRI withdrawal.

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

It's funny you mentioned that. My roommate smokes pot and I had never done it before (I was 25 at the time). So I decided to try it one night, and I think you may be on to something... :)

16. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I was on them when I was 18-20. Depression and anxiety run rampant in my family. But honestly when I first started taking them it was because I became severely depressed after a series of events that were completely ruining my life. I got on the meds, but also changed a lot about my life and environment and got off of them. I've bever been happier since.

17. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Suffered my entire life. Had some evil shit go down when I was 31. I got to the end of my rope. I realized that I wasn't strong enough to fix this without help.

I have been on medicine since then.
    I shudder when I think how different my life would have been had I gone on them when I was like 20 years old.

18. Midgetized

I mentioned it cause I saw your thread in AH about it :p I wouldn't tell someone that had never smoked that they should start, but if you're already doing it then why not :dunno: It works great for those times when are you just sad for no reason at all. I can be feeling all emo over nothing and take a couple hits and go from :( to :big grin: in just a minute or 2.

19. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

Didn't read the replies.. but for me it was a paralyzing depression.

didn't leave the house for basically a week. Wouldn't eat or sleep for days.

This wasn't an "ohh, i feel mopey" thing but this was a "someone's going to die soon, and it's probably going to be me" sort of angst and sadness.

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Pot causes hallucinations?

21. SFLegend

SFLegend .

Eh. I'm not a regular smoker of marijuana, but it does make me feel a lot happier the times I do smoke it. I guess it depends on what grade you get though. Some strains are crap while others are good.

As for the MAOIs, I take it for anxiety so I'm not sure how well it works for other psychiatric uses. I still eat what I have been eating and never had any hypotensive episodes. I've been on Nardil for a year now. I'm not trying to force my opinion on anyone about MAOIs, but just giving my side of the story about them.

22. Midgetized

If you smoke a bunch of good stuff you may hallucinate some. But that will end once the high is over. If you have a severe mental problem like shizophrenia then that would make your symptoms worse. Long term heavy use has the potential to cause some problems in the future but it's unlikely that you'll have hallucinations from just that. Since you are starting as an adult your brain has already had a chance to develop so you won't be as vulnerable to things like that.

The key to making sure you don't wind up more depressed in the future is to not do it a ton. When you smoke all you really need is 2-3 hits to get a nice happy fun buzz. You may be tempted to smoke a bunch but all that does is turn you into a zombie and you won't want to move or do anything. Also don't become dependant on it to make you happy or you'll keep needing more and more to achieve the same effect.

23. iwishyouwerebeer

I love pot. It pulls me out of any bad mood. Worked last night in fact.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  24. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Great advice telling depressed people to smoke pot.

As if they don't have an issue already.

As soon as I quit smoking pot, many clouds went away and I realised that it was one of many masks over a problem.

If you feel good after smoking a joint it is because you are high, you are supposed to feel emotionally good.

Then you come off it, you are lazy, tired, desiring more pot. It becomes expensive, you work hard, and see little money if you become reliant on it.

Perhaps you do not smoke it that much. I have seen depressed people who basically rely on it, and they are very poor because of it.

25. iwishyouwerebeer

I never said "EVERYONE USE POT," just said I love it. BTW, after I smoke I just feel good and fall asleep....not crave more and more to the point of addiction.