MMA Q&A with 'Fight of the Night' winner, Tim Credeur

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

SPOILERS

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/QA-with-Fight-of-the-Night-winner,-Tim-Credeur.html

Nate Quarry and Tim Credeur opened up Ultimate Fight Night 19 in what is likely to be a 'Fight of the Year' candidate. The back and forth battle had the crowd roaring, and earned both gentleman a 'Fight of the Night' $30,000 bonus.

Credeur proved to be the quicker fighter, landing several combinations and leg kicks that damaged Quarry in the opening rounds. He managed to stun Quarry a few times, but it was Quarry's right hand that saved him time and time again. Credeur was caught by the over-hand right, but kept his composure each time he was sent to the canvas. Both men were battered and bruised by the fight's end as fans were on their feet congratulating the two combatants.

FiveKnuckles.com caught up with Credeur at an Atlanta airport and got his input on last night's epic fight with Quarry.

How are you feeling after 15 minutes of back-and-forth, non-stop action?

I feel good today. He definitely caught me with some right hands, but I think I did a better job keeping my hands up and my chin down. Except when I come in and start landing a lot of punches... you know I start getting over anxious and I'm just going to throw until the wheels fall off. And that's just craziness. I guess it fits my moniker. I try to be smart about it, but sometimes I'm a little too nuts for my own good.

How do you feel about your performance last night?

I knew Nate Quarry was the kind of guy that would stand there and fight. I don't know if he really believed I was going to stand there too, but I think I showed last night that it was a good fight for me at this point in my career. Having a tough battle with somebody like Nate maybe proves that I deserve to be there. I got a little work to do and think I was a little over-aggressive sometimes, but I'll work on it. I'll be back in the gym next week.

What was the plan going into the fight with Quarry?

Well, my plan was to keep my distance and use some kicks. I knew he was gonna throw the over-hand right. I tried to use my speed and combinations because we thought we'd be a little faster than Quarry. I think we were right, and I think I won the first round. The problem in the second round was I got too overanxious. Sometimes it's my fault and I'm just aggressive. If I start landing a couple punches, I'm going to run at you. That's just not a good idea, and my boxing coach almost cut my head off. I take it as a learning experience and move forward from here. If I keep making the progress I'm making, we should be in the win column the next time.

What do you make of the 'Fight of the Year' rumors circulating, and the perception of you as a fighter?

It's an honor to be even mentioned as 'Fight of the Year' in the same category as the fights like Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida. I don't think you can ever go into a fight expecting that. I think a lot of it has to do with the match-up. I know a lot of people were looking at this fight thinking what is this fight doing on the main card? You got Phillipe Nover vs. Sam Stout, Steve Cantwell vs. Brian Stann on the under-card, and some people were questioning Joe Silva's decision to even put my fight on the main card - and further questioning if I even deserve to fight Nate Quarry. I really took it as an opportunity to prove to myself ,and to everybody else, that they are wrong. I've had some decent success in the UFC so far. I've beat some real tough guys. I think in the eyes of fans, a lot of people saw me on The Ultimate Fighter and cast me off as the jiu-jitsu guy that got a couple fights out of the show, thinking I'll eventually just fizzle out. I know that can happen because there are so many fighters coming from the show and it was really just my desire to improve. I don't really care so much about the winning and the losing part. Of course, I want to win as a competitor, but I care more about the fighting. It's my job to go out there and fight hard, impress people and keep the fans on their feet. If you're going to look past me or look by me because I'm a nice guy or not necessarily the guy wearing cool t-shirts, talking a bunch of smack and being a big tool... if your going to look past me because of those things? You're making some big mistakes.

What's with the unanimous decision?

Well one judge scored it 30-27 for Quarry. He must have been smoking heroin, I think. I remember them saying "Cecil Peoples scored the bout 30-27," and I wanted to go after him. I mean sure I got caught a couple times and gave it away, but 30-27?

Tim Credeur and Nate Quarry showed fans that neither of them was willing to throw in the towel, and both are sure to put up a great fight when they enter the Octagon. Credeur talks of aspirations to train in Thailand in the upcoming months, and is ready to fight when the UFC is ready to give him an opponent.

2. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Credeur was off my radar until this fight, and now i'm excited to watch his next bout

and Cecil Peoples is and always has been worthless

3. momentum

momentum CAN'T STOP THIS SON!

4. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

30-27 is fucked, no fucking way.

5. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

6. teep

teep New Member

lulz. gets me every time

7. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Cecil scored a couple fights badly. I think he gave Maynard the win 30-27 as well, and Roger won the first round easily.