MIL Q&A: Ask a newish 2Lt stuff.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ManinCamo, Apr 9, 2006.

1. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

:) i'm bored

2. ManinCamo

Not that I can recall :dunno:

3. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

were you enlisted before o1?

4. ManinCamo

No, but I get asked that a lot. In a lot of ways, I wish I had. I almost did after Sept 11, but I was already in ROTC at that point and I knew that I'd have my time to serve soon enough. To pat my own back, I get asked about prior status a lot IMO because I treat the enlisted with a lot of respect and I'm not uppity like a lot of brand new LT's can be.

As far as promotions, I should pin on 1st at my 24 month mark - 17 Dec 07. Captain is 2years/24m after that. They are not 100%, but high 90's % promotion for both. After that you actually face real competition in promotion.

5. ManinCamo

I don't know why I'm awake. Its pretty late. I'm usually in bed by 10 or 11 for work days - weekends usually 1.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

Do you plan to stay in the service until retirement?

7. ManinCamo

I would be naive of me to say, "yes - definitely" because I don't know what the future brings. However, I have no intention of only serving my minimum amount of time. I don't think I would mind putting in 20+ years. Both my father and grandfather were in the service and made Lt. Col. I would like to at least achieve that.

Keep askin questions. I'll be back in the morning

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  8. jung918

jung918 Member

Do you get called butter bar a lot?

9. LTJfan513

LTJfan513 New Member

are you one of those officers that looks like they could be most of the e-1 through e-3 guys' younger brother?

10. Talan

Talan New Member

How do you like Scott?

Did you choose Comm or did they just stick you there?

How hard was it to get your commission? I.E. your gpa, ROTC class rank

Welcome to Scott, i'm a CE guy and i'll be seeing you soon if you haven't already been to NBC class. Hope you like the gas chamber.

11. ManinCamo

Do I have authority? Yes, provided strictly by the fact that I am an officer and the job position I hold - about 30 or so enlisted people work under me in the chain of command.

Do I think I deserve the same amount of power as a colonol?

of course! :mamoru:

no, I don't

12. ManinCamo

Well, actually in my shop we have a hand full of e-2 to e-4 guys in their late twenties - 28,29 - so maybe :hs:.

I do look young, but then again I'm 22, 23 this month.

13. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Do you know other Lts that the sun shines out their rear?

14. ManinCamo

Thank you, I'm enjoying Scott a lot more than I thought I would.

Comm was a second choice, pilot being first. My paperwork never saw a regular rated selection board. I am going to make myself competitive and get my paperwork back into the rated/pilot selection board hopefully in Feb. And Scott AFB would have been one of my bottom 5 picks for bases because of Illinois gun laws, but I'm dealing :wtc:.

It works out with me being comm though, because my degree was Info Sys & Operations Mgmt. -- pretty much a direct fit with what I'm doing now.

Receiving a commission -- short answer: You have to maintain at least a 2.0 GPA, and score at least decently well on the AFOQT, and recently have/be going for a degree in what the AF considers technical (Nursing, Engineering, Computer Science, etc). Field training weeds out most of the bad eggs, along with the Cadre/Staff of each ROTC detachment. If you're quality, they'll push you through - "Cadet John Doe, you need to take this test, and get that paperwork done" otherwise if you're not, then you just you either perform to get on the track to commissioning, or get kicked out.

My story:
    I first got into ROTC in August 2001. At that time, they were pushing people through the program, it was easy. January of '03 I was still not contracted because I was very fat and I could not pass the fitness test or weight standards. Word came down the chain in January that things were going to get a whole lot more competitive - and they did! I lost 60 lbs over 3 monthes by working out 3 hours a day, 6 days a week, and eating very healthy. Because of my dedication and overall work ethic and leadership abilities, I had my instructors pushing for me to get a field training slot (like basic for ROTC. 4 or 6 weeks long) I was able to make it to field training summer of '03, barely. I found out and had about 10 days before I left. Passed field training (yes, its possible to fail) and contracted after that. When you're contracted, the Gov't owns your ass, you're paid a stipend each month ($200-400 depending on sophmore/junior/senior) and you have a projected commissioning date.

FYI: I was one of about 3 from an original freshman class of over 100 that commissioned. Some guys quit, some failed or were kicked out. We picked up some guys along the way and my class year had about 7 or 8 total who commissioned. I was a semester late, most of my friends that I went through with commissioned last May. There are still two left in the pipeline finishing their degree that should commission this May and/or in December. We lost of a lot of good guys along the way due to AF cutbacks, andk scapegoat shit. ANYTHING that you might have done wrong was blown out of proportion and used to get you out to help thin the numbers of incoming officers.

Its incredibly competitive to commission right now. I'm sure in 5 years things will be reversed and they'll be pulling people in again.

(edited for sentence clarification)

15. ManinCamo

No, but if I ever meet one I'll take a pic -- that would be amazing to have sun shine out of one's ass :eek3:

I know of one 2LT who acts like a captain - however with his job position, he probably should be a captain. Last year he was CGO of the quarter 2x, and CGO of the Year, as a first year 2LT :eek5:

But no, most of the LTs are real cool and laid back.

16. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

what was your PCSM and college stats when you were considered for a pilot slot? why did you not make it to a rated board?

17. ManinCamo

It had to do with the timing of my medical waiver. I had PRK eye surgery, so that I could compete for pilot. However my waiver didn't come through until this time last year, well after the Feb flight board. So, I have a flight qualified waiver, good to go -my paperwork saw the supplementary board last September. Between last April and September I was on the alternate list. I guess they didn't need any more pilots at the time:wtc:.

PCSM was 21. I couldn't find my flight log book, or it would have been at least 27 - 6 point boost for 1-5 hours of flight time. I'm going to attend ground school sometime this year hopefully and pickup some more flight hours to help boost my score.

My buddy got picked up for pilot, he has his private and commercial licence - maxing out the hours for PCSM. If I had that many hours I'd have an 82 :hs:

College grades, average. I had a 2.9x overall, well over a 3.x in my core classes. Nothing super special, nothing that I brag about.

18. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Hot pics of wife/girlfriend? :naughty:

19. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

i had the chance to hang out with some pilots and aircrew this weekend at McGuire... it seemed like the TSGT and even the SSGT had a lot of authority on the plane compared to the 1LT that was with us.... at what rank does an officer start to have some seniority? our LT said that you don't really get a lot of respect from your enlisted crew until you are a major... what do you think?

20. ManinCamo

Short answer: it depends on the location and career field.

long answer:

Its true, to a certain extent- IMO true respect is earned, not demanded. As a new LT, I have gotten to know my guys and they treat me very well, watch out for me, and give me a heads up when needed. At the same time I hear them complaining about another LT.

Also, aircrews are different. Big aviation oriented bases are officer heavy, because only officers are aviators. You have a bunch of Lt's and captains running around, the rank gets a bit watered down.

I think the official ratio is 1:4 in the air force, officer to enlisted, vs 1:10 (1:12 during wwII) in the Army. As stated before though, there tend to be large clusters of officers in the AF. In my communications Squadron, there are 30 people that fall under me in the element - a GS-12 is the element cheif. Another Lt, a second year 2lt is the actual element chief, and our third element in the flight is headed by a captain. The flight commander is a newer captain - he has 150 or so people in the flight.

actually, go here for accurate officer/enlisted ratios http://www.g2mil.com/shrinkofficers.htm

21. ManinCamo

Doing a job b/c a someone of a higher rank asked you to is one thing.

Doing a job b/c you respect the person who asked you to it is another.

Lieutenant is french for 'placeholder' so yea, I'm the placeholder for the GS-12 element cheif - I'm in charge when she's not around and/or when I'm delagated to certain projects.

"The word lieutenant derives from French; the lieu meaning "place" as in a position; and tenant meaning "holding" as in "holding a position"; thus a "lieutenant" is somebody who holds a position in the absence of his superior."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant

22. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

what do you think is the best way for me to get a leg up in ROTC? ive heard some people are highly involved with ROTC activities but dont get very good commander's rankings while others just do average while doing excelling at schoool and other things and rank much higher...

23. ManinCamo

My school suffered at times so that I could be the best cadet I could be. Technically school is supposed to come first, but the reality of it was as long as I stayed above a 2.0 all was well.

I would say volunteer for everything you can handle, and perform at everything you do. I know it sounds cheesy. At PT, lead the runs, sing the jody's, be early, be energetic. Its a fine line. You need to stand out, but you don't want to be an attention whore.

what year are you ?

24. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

im a 200 but i will also be a 200 again... i got deferred from camp for one year because dodmerb didn't like the idea of me being on an anti depressant for a stint. :squint:
    it seems like a lot of the upperclassmen see ROTC as a means to an end... theyre basically like, yeah marching and field training are lame now but it'll pay off in a couple years. at times it can be difficult to stay enthusiastic

25. ManinCamo

you won't be a 200 again, you'll be just a 300 who hasn't gone to a FTU yet.

Yes, ROTC is just putting your time in to a certain extent. It also gives you the opportunity to get exposed to the military in baby steps and allows you to find leadership opportunities.